Slice as a physical sheet

Hi there,

I work under a scenario where not everyone on the team is sold on the idea of working with appsheets so I’m currently trying to make apps that won’t I interfere much with the original excel sheets.

Making a long story short, I’m stuck on a situation where I would like to add a bunch of columns to a table (merging 2 tables into 1 to put an end to information we have in 2 different places), but these people still want to have 2 spreadsheets that have some of the same information.
I’m currently in love with the slices for things like these but the slices only solve the problem on the app end of things, and I need to solve it on the excel side of things as well.

1. Is there a way to make a slice have a real excel sheet corresponding to it?
  2. Is there a way to make certain columns of an app interact with more than one excel sheet?
  3. Reference across different workbooks
  4. Any other approach to solve this?

Thank you very much! Not easy to see all the potential this but to be fighting this battle by myself, so this community has been really important.

0 6 563
6 REPLIES 6

Steve
Platinum 4
Platinum 4

Sure: there’s nothing preventing you from having only a single slice per table. One table per worksheet and one slice per table equals one slice per worksheet.

An expression can pull in data from any table, so you can use expressions to access other worksheets so long as the sheet is attached to an AppSheet table.

Virtual columns make use of expressions and can be used to produce auto-updating values that are dependent on other tables.

Expressions cannot modify data in other tables, however. You can use actions, workflows, an/or the API, however, but they’re not trivial.

Yes, so long as the needed worksheets in the desired workbooks are attached to AppSheet tables.

Thanks @Steve

I was afraid it was all possible A few more sleepless nights ahead then.

I appreciate the help!!!

@Steve

I cannot seem to figure it out as Slices seem to be designed for the opposite purpose of what I wish to achieve.
In this case there is someone on the team who wants to keep working on excel instead of the app but he also doesn’t want anything to do with the new columns and other stuff that keep happening from the app, so I wish to create a slice for him that looks exactly as the spreadsheet has always been for years but that slice needs to be a separate spreadsheet for him.
When a slice is created I see the field to conect it to a source table but the source table needs to be the main spreadsheet as far as I understand, so how do I create this spreadsheet for him based on the slice.

Thanks

I don’t think you can accomplish what you want.

Maybe you should use excel to create a 3rd spreadsheet which is linked to the other 2 but which is in the format that you require. You may then use the excel Review features to allow any changes among and between any three by any user/s. I presume that this should already be the case for a multi excel user environment. All others may use the old spreadsheet 1 &2 and you may use spreadsheet 3.

Thus no matter which user uses any of the existing 2 spreadsheets they and the common data will be updated and so will your third spreadsheet.

If you make changes to the third spreadsheet, which is in the format you require, using the app then any changes will similarly be reflected in the other old spreadsheets. Excel “should take care” of the contention issues but this is not guaranteed.

Just an idea and suggestion, probably more sleepless nights !

@Gregory_Diana

Thanks a lot! If I’m able to make this work it certainly solves my problem.

I will study it a bit…

Cheers

Top Labels in this Space