Speed when creating new rows

I have an App that clicking an action button can cause 200+ rows to be created. Firstly clicking the button locks the app for 10-20secs, Then is can take 5-6 mins to create all the rows. Is there any way to speed this up?

0 15 262
15 REPLIES 15

Please use Workflow/Data Action as itโ€™s happening on the server side.

Hi @Aleksi So the exact sequence is

1. Click an action button in the Plot table which does โ€œExecute a seqence of actionsโ€
  2. The above then calls 4 actions, 3 of them are each just writing stuff into a column in Plot table
  3. The main one though is a โ€œexecute an action on a set of rowsโ€.
    Record of this table = Plot,
    Referenced Rows = [Related HouseMats]
    Referenced Table = HouseMats
    Referenced Action = โ€œCopy HouseMats to Materialsโ€
  4. โ€œCopy HouseMats to Materialsโ€ is a โ€œadd a new row to another table using values from this rowโ€ and writes stuff into 11 different columns. Its this that can sometimes repeat for 200+ times.

Can I get this any more efficent?

If you trigger them with a Workflow/DataChange, it will happen on the background and you will only see one sync(1). Have you tried that way already?

No, but that should work. Iโ€™ll try it and report back

Hi @Aleksi

So Iโ€™ve tried that, and it doesnโ€™t seem to work fully. I created 2 actions to write and then clear something in a column. Thats the trigger for the workflow. The workflow then calls the origional action button that worked fine. Now that origional action button was an โ€œexceute a sequence ofโ€ฆโ€ type with the following 4 sub-actions:

1 = Write โ€œCopy HouseMatsโ€ in a column - Works Fine
2 = A โ€œexcute on a series of rowsโ€ to copy the rows - Does not work
3 = Write user name, UserEmail() & Now() in a different column - Does not work
4 = Clear โ€œCopy HouseMatsโ€ by writting โ€œโ€ to the same column - Works fine

Item 2 above works fine stright off the action button that called these 4 seperate actions. But not if the action is called by a workflow

Item 3 above works fine as a standalone action button and also if I use the origional button

Any ideas?

HI @Aleksi, just wondering if you had any ideas?

Or has anyone else solved this issue (@MultiTech_Visions, @Steve, @Bellave_Jayaram)

There is definitely a way to get this to work, just a matter of getting everything aligned right.

Workflows donโ€™t trigger auxiliary action; I think of it in layers:

The workflow can execute an action, but not anything that requires an action to trigger an action - it can only go one layer deep.

Instead, build each step out inside the workflow, with each separate action being a separate step inside the workflow.

Ill try that @MultiTech_Visions. Just seemsed a bit weird that it ran only the first and last action. Missing the second I can understand, as it is a chain of actions. Including the bit you helped me with. But the 3rd just writes something to a column, like the 1st and 4th

Would help to see the action and workflow configurations.

@Steve indeed; otherwise itโ€™s just guesswork.

Ok, ill do the best I can. So this is the action button the user pressed in the Plot table

3X_d_8_d822d14fe69c0ef611c1a777b31978d78f8b8648.png

This is action 1. It writes this into Plot[Report] to act as a trigger for some slices. @MultiTech_Visions may remember this bit
3X_c_9_c97a4a487d33ca08726d8208aac00524a7d147ea.png

Iโ€™'l come back to step 2 in a bit as its by fair the most complicated

Step 3 simply timestamps in Plot[Materials Imported] to record the time but also used as a rule so the main action button diapeers after its pressed.
3X_a_b_abaefead1afa56a11317cc6f88da785d34e44f57.png

Step 4 simply clears Plot[Report]

So back to step 3. This is the action details

Its job it to look at Plot[Related HouseMats] and copy them to the Materials table, using this action

Live_Plot is a slice used to copy data from the Plot table into the Materials table at the same time.
3X_9_1_91c53aabb98ee399d70012339b44d9d5da002600.png

Hopefully this helps explain it a little more. I tried what @MultiTech_Visions said which was to replicate the main action button above with 4 sub-actions into a Workflow with 4 actions inside it. But the issues were the same - actions 2 & 3 donโ€™t run.

Do any of the actions have Only if this condition is true expressions?

No. Some had that set to true, others were blank. But there seems to be no correlation with this and to which actions work or not

Seems to me the approach here is to remove everything, break down the problem into the individual steps, and add them back one-by-one until you find the breakdown. Tedious, but seemingly necessary.

Iโ€™ve kinda already done than. The existing button was working, all I did was create a workflow that called that button.

Iโ€™ve also tested each of the 4 main steps on its own and they all work fine.

Top Labels in this Space