Speed when using alot of sheets

gjbism

Hi guys/gals,

I have an app that uses ALOT of spreadsheets to display data. I am curious about speed optimizations.

Which is better?

Lots of sheets without alot of columns
One big sheet with a TON of columns

TIA

1 4 127
4 REPLIES 4

Steve
Platinum 4
Platinum 4

There is no one answer that fits all cases.

Don't use Excel, though.

Delete unused rows and columns. Delete, don't just clear or leave blank.

Avoid keeping worksheets that are not used by your app in workbooks that are used by the app.

Avoid spreadsheet formulas.

Avoid virtual columns that use FILTER(), LOOKUP(), SELECT(),, and the like.

Use security filters where possible.

@Steve wrote:

Avoid spreadsheet formulas.

Avoid virtual columns that use FILTER(), LOOKUP(), SELECT(),, and the like.

What would be the best way if you have to display stats based on data? For that is neccesary either spreadsheet formulas or virtual column with select () expressions? 

The point is to minimize their use, and understand their performance consequences. Use them only where absolutely necessary.

Lots of sheets without a lot of columns is better.

This is because it applies the principal of data normalization making your data easier to access. 

Additionally When AppSheet has multiple tables it can import them at the same time. So a huge sheet that takes a minute is worse than 4 smaller sheets each taking 20 seconds because those imports happen at the same time. So those 4 small sheets from a stopwatch only take 20 seconds to come in since they happen all at once. 

Please do not hesitate if you need more help or reach out to ask another question I would be happy to answer. Also if you are new to AppSheet I hope you are finding it helps you out a lot and does what you need. If you are not new, sorry, I mean no offense just a welcome. 

Craig

QREW Technologies

Top Labels in this Space