Split record with different timestamps

I have an app that's used in the field to capture the outcome of checks done to vehicle in the morning before work starts and in the afternoon after work finishes. Both morning and afternoon data is stored in table 'Inspections'.

The checklists for the morning and afternoon are different. To keep it simple I have 1 record in the database for both morning and afternoon. I have 2 views 'Morning' and 'Afternoon' and present the relevant questions via slices from table 'Inspections'. After the morning check is done the operator saves the record. In the afternoon they go to view 'Afternoon', edit the morning record and complete the afternoon checklist. The data then is saved and the record is complete.

All works except one item. The customer gets paid on running time so I have two automated (non-editable) timestamps - call it 'morning time' and 'afternoon time'. Both timestamps are set to initial value of =NOW(); This works for 'morning time'. However 'morning afternoon' time also gets populated when completing the morning checklist.

I need the afternoon time to be populated based on the NOW() when the operator completes the checklist. How can I do this and why is 'afternoon time' populated in the morning to begin with despite it not being in the slice?

0 7 145
7 REPLIES 7

You could use the functionality "Reset on Edit". If you use a formula something like.. [_THISROW_AFTER].[YourLastColumn]<>[_THISROW_AFTER].[YourLastColumn] it would read the timestamp properly. If you don't want the timestamp in the first round, you could use something like.. IFS(IN([KeyColumn],Table[KeyColumn]),NOW()) with the initial value.

Yes, initial values are calculated even if the column is not selected to a slice. That's a normal behavior. 

Could you please elaborate on this.

I have two columns: 'Date/time start' (type=DateTime) and 'Date/Time end' (type=DateTime). Both field have an initial value of NOW() and based on what you say I understand why both have the same timestamp regardless of which slice they are in.

When a new record is created in the morning 'Date/Time start' gets set to NOW(). When the record gets edited in the afternoon I want to refresh 'Date/Time end' with the current timestamp in order to calculate the running time for the day; i.e. 'Date/Time end' - 'Date/Time start'.

How can I apply the functionality "Reset on edit" and still maintain the morning timestamp on 'Date/Time start'?

You need to use the Reset on Edit only with the Date/Time end column, not with the Date/Time start.

Ok I found this setting and have enabled it on 'Date/Time end'. However something strange happens. When first editing the record 'Date/Time end' changes to the current time Initial value=NOW() but when I save the record the old timestamp appears after the synchronisation.

I have a screen recording showing this behaviour https://drive.google.com/file/d/1XXRVspZV7PJdenyV992qZSTWqlGVfgHr/view?usp=drive_link

This almost looks like the cloud version takes precedence of the app version. Is there such a thing and if so how do I change the sync precedence?

Any ideas why this time stamp gets reset to the prior value? As you see above the time stamp resets to the current time when I edit the record only to revert to the value prior to editing when I save the record.

I have tried to look for config options but can't find anything

Your video is not a public, would you please change it.

Oh ok, apologies. Should be ok now

Top Labels in this Space