Splitting Enumlist into seperate row of data

Hey guys,

I have a column to record the students attendance to a class. 

I have this as Enumlist so the teacher can dropdown and tick all the students name who were present.
Example of the table after the form is saved:
Date            Students present
03/03/22     Tom, Tim, Pat, Bob 

Now, when the form is saved, I would like to split the Enumlist into individual row of data. Like this:
Date              Students present
03/03/22                  Tom
03/03/22                  Tim
03/03/22                  Pat 
03/03/22                  Bob

So that I can track the attendance of individual student easily.

Could someone please help me with this?
I have seen a Template App that does a similar thing through Actions - I cannot locate the app unfortunately. 

Any help will be appreciated. Many thanks.

1 14 496
14 REPLIES 14

You beat me to it!!  🙂

Hi @TeeSee1 

Thank you for this excellent solution and the article that explains it very clearly. 

I have a problem, I hope you can point me in the right direction.
When I do my 'Control Table' form for the first time, it works fine in splitting the Enum List into individual rows of data in the 'Target Table'. However, when I go to edit the entry and add another 2 new values to the Enum List field, The 2 new records are not added to the Target table. It doesn't matter how many new entries I add, the last value in the list gets repeated in the Target table.

For Example:
1st-time form submission: 

Control Table, Enum List column: Lisa Boss, Anna Clement, Tom, Joyce
Target Table, Enum column: Lisa Boss
                                                       Anna Clement (next row)
                                                       Tom Joyce (next row)
1st Edit form submission: 
 Control Table, Enum List column: Adam Boss, Lisa Boss, Anna Clement, Brad Clement, Tom, Joyce - (2 new names added on edit)
                                                       Anna Clement (next row)
                                                       Tom Joyce (next row)
                                                       Tom Joyce (next row) - (Since Tom Joyce was last on the Enum list)

2nd Edit form submission: 
 Control Table, Enum List column: Adam Boss, Lisa Boss, Anna Clement, Brad Clement, Tom, Joyce, Johnny Zeek, Joanne Zeek - (2 new names added on 2 nd edit)
                                                       Anna Clement (next row)
                                                       Tom Joyce (next row)
                                                       Tom Joyce (next row) 
                                                       Joanne Zeek (next row) - (Since Tom Joyce was last on the Enum list)                 

Hope my explanation makes sense. 

It works on the first entry but it doesn't work when you edit the first entry.

Please help.

0 Likes

The process depends on the order of the elements in the ENUMLIST and adding new names which do not come at the end of the list will most likely be ignored.

So you need to make sure that you add new names at the end and I believe the count needs to be reduced by one on each of the edited round (I have not closely followed the logic so may be incorrect but the fact that you add two names and only one row gets added suggests so.)

Thank you for your response @TeeSee1 
I still can't work out the solution for this. The sample app on the link you sent earlier, doesn't work on the editing scenario:
https://www.googlecloudcommunity.com/gc/Tips-Tricks/FAQ-add-row-per-value-in-EnumList/m-p/357133 

Any help would be much appreciated. 

I have created a demo app for your study.

See ENUMLIST to ROWS with EDITS here.

I have added a few actions to delete any existing rows in the target table and also reset the COUNT col in case you make edits that not only add new entries but delete existing one(s).

[Start] -> Delete rows -> Reset Count -> [main] -> Inc Count -> Add a target row -> Repeat [main] if Count is less than the ENUMLIST count.

Hi @TeeSee1 

I appreciate your effort. I am afraid the solution didn't work for some reason. I added the extra actions, but the new values are not getting added to the end of the ENUM list plus, When I edit, I get the same results as above 😞  

The demo is working as I understand your requirements.

What am I missing?

Animation.gif

Hi @TeeSee1 

You are a Champion! Thank you so much for this solution. Yes, it works. I made a mistake, but it is all good now.

I have one small problem The action "Clear Rows" brings the confirmation to Delete rows when the action is executed. However, I notice in your App there is no warning confirmation. 

When I edit the records, this message pops up:

Dan_Velus_0-1654739076584.png

Could you please direct me on how to get rid of this confirmation modal?

Thank you, you saved me.

There's a setting to control the confirmation message in the delete action.

Under one of the foldable sections down below,

TeeSee1_0-1654767696164.png

Thank you so much @TeeSee1  I really appreciate it. It was very difficult to reproduce the same function. Obviously I was missing something. However, I managed to copy the sample app and build my table data around it.

Good to hear you were able to find the way 🙂

Hi @Aleksi 

This issue is not solved. I am still looking for a solution. I am trying this solution for one of my clients and struggling. 

This App: https://www.googlecloudcommunity.com/gc/Tips-Tricks/FAQ-add-row-per-value-in-EnumList/m-p/357133 is not working when you edit the entered value. Your help is so needed and will be much appreciated, please.

Please check a sample called "New records from EnumList" from www.appsheet.com/portfolio/531778. It's made with a Webhook.

Top Labels in this Space