Stacked Multiple Prepopulated Data Input Forms?

Hi, I'm new to Appsheet and loving it. As I am figuring things out, I do have a puzzle I need help on.

Assuming the following:

* Table 1 contains categories and metadata

* Table 2 contains item details  (size, notes) and includes reference to category id field to table 1 

* 1 data entry form that inputs data to table 2

I have a need to create a button action that will fire off 3 instances of the same simple data entry form (to table 2), with 3 specific values in the category filed prepopulated from table 1.

Desired workflow:

User hits a button to create new inventory group (requiring 3 records inputted to table 2) >

1. Input form comes up with empty "size" and "notes" fields from table 2 and non-editable category field populated with category 1 from table 1. 

2. On save, writes data to table 2, and input form comes up again with empty "size" and "notes" field from table 2 and non-editable category field populated with category 2 from table 1. 

3. On save, input form comes up again with empty "size" and "notes" fields from table 2 and non-editable category field populated with category 3 from table 1. 

4. On save, user would be directed to a table view to see all data from table 2

Hope that makes sense. Is this possible?  If so, I could use a walk-through. Thanks in advance.

Solved Solved
0 12 785
  • UX
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

With all of your generous help and feedback, I was able to figure it out.  Turns out, I was overthinking and overcomplicating the design. Since there were only 6 pillar "categories', I decided it was easier to add the multiple fields to the same table vs create parent/child table relationships.

For the multi-page input form part, I simply used show type columns, like demonstrated here, and Things are zooming!! Thank you ALL so much! I have learned so much and never though I would be able to create my first robust mobile app in a new-to-me system in just over 72 hours. #Amazing

Best

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

I do not believe there is a way with one action to open a form three times sequentially.

One way to accomplish what you want (create three records in T2 with a fixed category value and 'free' size and notes values) would be create columns in T1 to hold those variable values (notes1-3, size1-3) and create three actions of type "add a new record in another table using values from this table" to transfer category as well as each of  notes1-3 and size1-3 , and a grouped action to fire these three.

You can set the Event Action of the T1_Form to the grouped action so that once your user populates all notes1-3 and size1-3 and save the T1 record, then three corresponding records are created in T2.

I do not like what I proposed (feels just like a bad example of hard coded logic) and I would also be interested to know if someone can come up with other more elegant ways..

Thanks for your feedback TeeSee. A workflow variable I didn't explain too well was that the user can input DIFFERENT values in the subsequent 2 input forms, with the category being auto prepopulated with three different categories. Hope that makes sense, and if not, please ask for more info.  I really appreciate the help

on this..

I believe I got your requirements now. Still cannot think of a clean way to do this.

I have created a snippet app here in the hope you get some hint.

I have

1) created a temp table to hold your three categories as well as three notes and sizes for user to edit/populate

2) on this temp table created three actions to add to T2 using each set of Cat, Notes and size

3) another action to clear the Notes and SIzes for the next user to not see the previous values.

4) finally an action (Grouped: exe a seq of actions) to do all 2) and 3) and assign it to the event actions for the tempTable_FORM under behavior

5) in case you want to start your navigation on a view attached to T2, you need yet another action to take you to the FORM view of the temp table.

I believe this as well as a few additional touch-ups such as disabling the edit of the category fields on the tempTable_FORM to prevent unnecessary user modifications should do the trick, though still not a very pretty implementation.

Good luck!

@Agent5D welcome!

Does the following look close to the user flow you're imagining? If so, try copying this sample app to use as a reference. Main inline form functionality relies on the 'is part of' setting enabled in the child record column settings.

inline form example.2022-01-26 19_38_14.gif

Hey Peter.  Wow, I first wanted to thank you for doing all of this work. I just had a chance to dig in on your sample and it looks amazing. The flow is a little different

I need to create a group of records with one record for each category in the group, for example:

1. Button launch to start a new group of items >
  2. Category 1 - input size and notes - Next  >
  3. Category 2 - input size and notes - Next  >
  4. Category 3 - input size and notes - Finish >

I actually have 6 categories that need user inputs for each group. Similar to this: https://youtu.be/kWe2smaejT0

Possible?

Wow Teesee and Peter,

Thank you both for your incredible responses. You are both very close. I need to clarify a couple of things,  I am creating a holistic wellness tracker app that I believe will help people engage in self direct healing.  I was trying to make my question generic by using common inventory terms, however I realize now that my ambiguity is hindering your amazing efforts to help. So, I am attaching a video I made to show you what I am trying to do. 
Holistic Wellness Tracker Test Mockup Up  < this is the core feature set that I am trying to learn to create in Appsheet

In the vid, you will see wellness categories that exist in lookup table: T1. I want to launch a sequence where the user can evaluate 6 wellness pillars, one at a time, choosing a rating button from 1-3, and include notes (not featured in mock vid) for each wellness.

The prepopulated  category for each screen, rating number and and note fields will be stored in T2 with a time stamp for reporting purposes.

Thanks so much for helping me do my part to heal the planet.  I appreciate your continued advice and I am absolutely blown away by this dev community already.

I figured that I would include my table structures for reference. 

Agent5D_0-1643307379875.pngAgent5D_1-1643307415983.png

@peterdykstra did you have any ideas on this?

This is the best I can come up with which requires creating one action per pillar....

1) Daily entry starts

TeeSee1_0-1643357041696.png

2) Some data at the top entry level

TeeSee1_1-1643357087998.png

3) Start entering each pillar via action button

TeeSee1_2-1643357121274.png

TeeSee1_3-1643357144555.png

4) You only see the actions of the missing pillars 

TeeSee1_4-1643357188953.png

https://www.appsheet.com/portfolio/3401559

Snippet for your reference

@TeeSee1 Thank you for your continued support on this.  This has really been keeping me up at night. My brain has been thinking about how this kind of approach could work, so I appreciate you taking the time to solidify the theory. I will have a look at this and get back to you.  🙂

With all of your generous help and feedback, I was able to figure it out.  Turns out, I was overthinking and overcomplicating the design. Since there were only 6 pillar "categories', I decided it was easier to add the multiple fields to the same table vs create parent/child table relationships.

For the multi-page input form part, I simply used show type columns, like demonstrated here, and Things are zooming!! Thank you ALL so much! I have learned so much and never though I would be able to create my first robust mobile app in a new-to-me system in just over 72 hours. #Amazing

Best

Top Labels in this Space