Step for successful deployment based on a live Google Sheet

liran4

Hi,
My app is based on a pre-existing Google Sheet. Specifically, I’m working to transitioning/upgrading a CRM system from Sheets (and forms) to AppSheet. The challenge is that this CRM system is very much alive and used by many users during all times of the day (100% internal users, from our Google Workspace domain). Users must be able to continue using it until the new AppSheet app is functional. My thought was to start off with AppSheet based on a copy of the live system (not shared with anyone). In other words, start with a snapshot of the system and than work with a static Sheet. This means that the app’s data-source cell data will surely change from the moment I initially link it to the moment we go live. I wanted to consult with your guys about the best practice to make this handoff between Google Sheets based to AppSheet based system. Will a simple data-source replace and manual sync solve it?
As part of the app development process, I’ll surely add virtual columns as well as (perhaps) Slices, and other AppSheet unique elements. Will these survive the data-source change, including all links, relations, layouts and interactions? If they don’t survive, I’m not sure how can you go-live with a pre-existing system.
PS1-Surely I’ll remove share from the Google Sheet and pause all forms during the time of such a handoff.
PS2 - Apologies if there’s another post about this topic. I couldn’t find it and I’d appreciate a link to it
PS3- a lot of PSs I’m actually also reviewing GlideApps as a possible solution for our CRM system. The main challenge I have with Glide is that it’s outside the Google ecosystem which means our data will be visible to another ecosystem. Not terrible, but prefer to avoid it. Also, Glide doesn’t support uploading to Google Drive directly. Their native storage is impossible to privatize and it’s an immediate no-go for us. This can be solved with web-view, but that’s far from ideal. On the other hand, Glide is a breeze to work with, while AppSheet…isn’t. I would be happy to hear your thoughts on Glide vs. AppSheet.
Thanks

0 1 101
1 REPLY 1

That’s the way to go

Yes

Why not? I mean, the data will be structured the same, there are going to be more rows when you go live vs the snapshot

Mine is the oposite, that our data reaches Google

I didn’t knew anything about Glide, looks good to be fair.
It doesn’t support other spreadsheets rather than GSheets though

Top Labels in this Space