Still stuck on Recurring Action, seems to be only working with static value? Help please, please

Okay, the last question I asked that I thought was resolved, but apparently it didn't solve the issue.

I have the following setup

Column B: [Date]

Column K: [Count]

Column L: [Day to recur] every month

Column M: [Next recurring] event date
This is a formular calculated field containing Edate(), Eomonth(), Month(), If(), and based on value user enters into column L, which day to occur every month. So, I can't make this an in-app expression field.

Now, with recurring action, I've setup the following steps:

1. Add a new row, [Date ]= [Date],    [Count] = [Count]    [Day to Recur] = [Day to Recur] 

2. Set the value of the columns in this row (the initial row):   [Count] -1,    [Date] = [Next Recurring]

3. Action to repeat step 1 & 2.

Below as example, starting with the Initial data in a Row: 

[Date] = 1-Jan-23,     [Count] = 3,    [Day to recur] = 30
[Next Recurring] is auto calculated on Googlesheet, the value in [Next Recurring] = 28-Feb-23

By using the action below, that I should be able set a recurring event for every month on the 30th day, until my count value = 0.
If it's Feb, the day will be set to end of the month, if 30th happens to be a Sunday, then it moves the recurring day to the next day.  All these have been set by formular and is working correctly on Googlesheet, so I just need to bring this into the App, so it shows in the calendar view. 

Action step 1, Add a new Row (duplicate the initial row):
[Date] = 1-Jan-23,     [Count] = 3
[Next Recurring] is auto calculated on Googlesheet, value in [Next Recurring] = 28-Feb-23

Then, Action step 2, The Initial row gets updated to:
[Date] = 28-Feb-23,  this is done by action [Date] = [Next Recurring]    
[Count] = 2,   this is done by action [Count]-1

Based on the new [Date] = 28-Feb-23, my [Next Recurring] is auto calculated on Googlesheet, the value is now [Next Recurring] = 31-Mar-23

Action step 3,
Repeat Step 1 & 2, until [Count] < 1

However, when the action 3 (Rinse and Repeat) starts, the [Date] value no longer gets updated to [Next Recurring] value as it supposed to happen in step 2 described above. It only happened on the initial loop, but not any subsequent loops. 

I've tired many other ways, by adding Actions in between step 1 and 2, to make a new column called [Copy Next Recurring] that copies the date value in [Next Recurring], in hoping this will turn the new column into a static value column
Then, set the [Date] = [Copy Next Recurring], but it still wouldn't work.

I've tried the solution others suggested from my previous post by using =Lookup( Max()), but still wouldn't work. It fetches the value correctly, but the date column will be blank, something is restricting it from being updated by using =Lookup(Max()) from a formula calculated column.
I've already have the [Date] column unchecked from is Required, and made sure it can be updated.

Then at last, I tried to use a static value by setting the [Next Recurring] to 7 (a number), and it worked all perfectly.

The date value for each following row becomes 7 days greater than the previous row. (A recurring event for every 7 days)

Therefore, my problem is that the [Next Recurring] date HAS to be formula calculated on my Googlesheet,  and it can't be a static value.

Is there any method that could solve my issue?

Thank you.

Solved Solved
0 1 144
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Just did a step by step manual test while waiting on the result to appear in my googlesheet.

I realised that, my setup, my codes, my formulas and my actions are all working fine.

While watching it step by step, I realised it's working fine when I do one step at a time, but the problem existed because of the lag between when data is automatically updated by Action in the App, then arrayformual works out the next step on Googlesheet, then it has to be refreshed back to the App to get the next dates correctly.

So, I guess there's no fix to this situation of mine.

Case closed for now.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

Just did a step by step manual test while waiting on the result to appear in my googlesheet.

I realised that, my setup, my codes, my formulas and my actions are all working fine.

While watching it step by step, I realised it's working fine when I do one step at a time, but the problem existed because of the lag between when data is automatically updated by Action in the App, then arrayformual works out the next step on Googlesheet, then it has to be refreshed back to the App to get the next dates correctly.

So, I guess there's no fix to this situation of mine.

Case closed for now.

Top Labels in this Space