Stop blocking the apps while prototyping

My app got blocked while prototyping. I guess the reason was that we were doing tests in several devices and they count the devices as users. Never got more than 10 users working on a day. Upgraded the plan to Publisher Pro and still blocked. They told us, if no security filters no need to pay per user.

We did not receive an email, that the app was going to be blocked. We still do not understand the difference between users and licenses.

0 6 569
6 REPLIES 6

Aurelien
Google Developer Expert
Google Developer Expert

Hi @yastaaa

you may want to change the category of the post into โ€œquestionโ€ instead of โ€œfeature requestsโ€.
โ€œFeature requestsโ€ is about voting for a new feature not available today.

Prototyping is about having max 10 users/30-rolling days.
in order to preventing counting one user per device, you should set this option. So that, no mtter how many devices you will use while you keep logging in.
3X_4_4_446b2fcde5a7b802dd6871dbcdcbe942236f3b13.png

per user : per user signed in after deployment. no matter device used. secure.
per licence: per licence after deployment. no matter device or user. not secure.

typically if you are on testing, you may want to check the security option in order to keep control on โ€œwhoโ€ is testing the app.

for reference:

I have this setup.

After a week I have the warning symbol again. So guess is matter of a timer to get blocked again.

Hi @yastaaa

Yes, if you do not take precautions to limit to 10 users while you are prototyping, this is the risk.

Is your app deployed, or not ?
If not deployed, thatโ€™s normal to get the message you have, given that you have one prototype app. Even if you are paying for one app licence, if you donโ€™t deploy any app, then you are paying one licence with no usage.

You have to keep in mind:

• prototype app = not deployed = 10 users limit per 30 rolling-day
  • per-user app = deployed = pay per user
  • public app = deployed = pay per licence

Yes please change the category.

Apps are typically not blocked for exceeding the license count. Instead they inform you to increase the count. It could be AppSheet is tightening this loose constraint if the license count is exceeded over several months???

While prototyping, your app should NOT be deployed. You can have up to 10 test users on an undeployed app. Granted, certain features donโ€™t work as in a deployed app but you can test most things and simply wait to test the others once all is ready and you have deployed.

Look under the app usage stats. This is by distinct user. It will depend on how the users access the app AND how the app is implemented for login/authentication. For example, an app may be set to NOT require login. A user could access the app through different authentication accounts. Each of these count as a distinct user. AppSheet has no way to know those accounts are for the same person.

If you wish to control users access the app to prevent multiple licenses used up by a single user, you can require login and whitelist the users. They will be forced to login with that specific account and no other will be allowed.

In the end, if you still have questions, contact someone at AppSheet.

Thanks. Tha clarifies a lot. So the answers is. If you have the message warning Deploy ? And then Redeploy? I will try.

@yastaaa
The warning is just saying that the app you are working on has reached a limit.

Like โ€œhey man, you paid for 1 but you took 2 !โ€
Here, more likely โ€œhey man, you want 11 but we offered only 10!โ€

Top Labels in this Space