Sum select vs related

I have a virtual column [Related childs] with the formula REF_ROWS("Childs", "Parent ID").

The Childs table has a virtual column that calculates the total for each row called [total price]

I want to use the sum() function to sum the [total price] of the all the childs records of the parent record

if i use sum([Related childs][total price]) the result that it gives is wrong.

if I use sum(select(Childs[total price], [_thisrow].[Parent ID]=[Parent ID])) it works.

How is this different? Why is giving different answers?

0 3 124
3 REPLIES 3

Those should be the same.

Is the [Related...] the system-generated VC, and have you modified it in any way? Does it produce the same list of key value, or list of [total price] values, as the equivalent SELECT expression does?

Where are you writing this new SUM expression?

"Is the [Related...] the system-generated VC, and have you modified it in any way?"

yes it is, and I have not modified it in any way.

"Does it produce the same list of key value, or list of [total price] values, as the equivalent SELECT expression does?"

It should. If I create a inline view for this related records and I set the group aggregate to sum the totals it shows the correct value (the one using correct) and the number of items that it contains are the same.

sum(select(Childs[total price], 
[_thisrow].[Parent ID] = [Parent ID]))
Top Labels in this Space