Sync appsheet, when google sheet data is updated using google forms

hi all, Here's my usecase with the data and visibility Components:

Data capture is done using:- Google forms. 

DataSource/ database :- Google sheets

Data Visibiliity: Appsheet

Usecase: I have users interacting with the app in real time for visibility, i.e users submit data using google forms and eventually ending in google sheets  in real time and the appsheet app is accessed by the users to see what data is entered. (all the action happens in peak hours approximating for 45min to 1 hour every day.)

what is the best Configuration to get latest data into the appsheet without  users manually Syncing every time when the data is inserted into google sheets, (i.e currently the user has to keep pressing the sync button.) 

i saw some posts which are posted earlier from my search:

1)QUick sync feature doesnt work as my google sheet data is being entered by non-appsheet  system (i.e - google forms) and i have google formulas 

https://www.googlecloudcommunity.com/gc/Announcements/PREVIEW-Users-see-updated-data-with-Quick-sync...

2)Another recommended answer from 2020, is to create linkaction to force the sync using

LINKTOVIEW("ViewName")&"&at="&(NOW()+1).

https://www.googlecloudcommunity.com/gc/AppSheet-Q-A/Sync-Action/m-p/345051

But in my use case i have bulk updates that are made by user in appsheet updating cells in the google sheet. which takes time. like 5-10 seconds. is there a way to execute the last linktoview action after all the updates are done. 

(note: The whole idea for me to start the appsheet app project is by getting impressed at the home page display of the graphics (.gif) image where the appsheet automatically syncs up from the google sheet update.) - probably i shall have asked this question first and read the limitations to get the desired end state on what i was building.

Google AppSheet | Build apps with no code 

any advice is highly appreciated. Hoping the product maturity since  since the last post  from 2020 there is an answer for my use case in 2023.

0 3 1,450
3 REPLIES 3

ICYMI: Part of your solution presumably needs to be Configure AppSheet events on Google Sheets.

hi @dbaum , thanks for sharing the information.  i do see that appsheet events and i did create the event (on data rows added) but when i tried to use the event in bot, which ultimately  connects to the process. the process doesnt have anything tied that can be invoked to appsheet. all the options are either to notify (sms, email etc) or invoke an appscript. which for my use case unfortunately doesnt work. im looking for some sort of syncing capability where it automatically does that when  new data gets added into sheets.

unless im  missing something here. please advice.? thanks again for your time and advice.

I may not have read your OP closely enough before replying the first time. If you already have an app table that uses as its data source the sheet where the Forms responses are stored and you're only asking about how to ensure that external changes to that table's data get downloaded to user devices asap, then external eventing isn't directly relevant.

Be sure you have Delayed Sync disabled.

If you don't have user actions that frequently enough trigger syncing, you could investigate a hack like indeed using external eventing to trigger an automation that copies a newly added row to another table, and since that's an intra-AppSheet data change maybe that would trigger the Quick Sync.

Top Labels in this Space