Table Items Ref to specific forms

Hey everyone! First time poster here! Ive been working on an inspection app for my company and am a big Google fan so decided Appsheet was the best way for me to go. Im pretty handy with spreadsheets and formulas but haven't quite caught on to the expressions yet but learning as I go.

So my questions:

1. Not 100% sure of the best way to set up my tables.

I have 13 sections that all need the information put in from a for (90% enum or enum list options). Each section has different questions therefore the forms are specific to that section. I assumed I could just create a table for each section and create a form out of it like this ...easy peasy....

Dust216_1-1673578902347.png(I have 13 of these tables)

Then create a table like this that would ref or link to the category-specific form.

Dust216_0-1673578822029.png

Im sure there are many ways to set this up. Please let me know what the best approach is, whether its reconstructing my data or using slices or expressions.

Thanks in advance!

0 2 76
2 REPLIES 2

Hi @Dust216 

Welcome to the AppSheet community!

I think the best option will depend on the amount of data you have. If each section has 10s of inspection questions, it may be good to have each section into a different table because a single table could become too big in terms of number of columns. You could then have a master inspection table as parent of all these 13 sections forms, so that you can identify/connect each  inspection and its sections. The master inspection table then can hold the meta information of the inspection- inspection date, machine number, inspected by and so on.

If there are just 3-5 questions per section you could evaluate a single inspection table with page headers. Relevant reading and sample apps

Customize input forms - AppSheet Help

Create multi-page forms with conditional branching - AppSheet Help

Sample apps

Form with Tabs - AppSheet

Multi-Page Forms - AppSheet

For 13 tables with a master inspection table

References between tables - AppSheet Help

Sample inspection apps at Get started by using the feature samples - AppSheet Help

Home Inspection App - AppSheet

Wind Turbine Inspection App - AppSheet

Hope this helps.

Note: Your question is very broad based and the above are just some pointers based on overview shared by you. In no way, it suggests a final approach. Please do evaluate for your requirement by considering various options. There are multiple help articles and sample apps and discussions in this community that you could search with key words.

What about a solution where you have 3 tables.. 

#1 - Parent table which contains the main information like who created this record, when etc.

#2 - Child table where you have 5..10 questions depending on your biggest section. One column would be Ref where you select the Section so it would be easy to read the text with the defer like [Section].[Q1].

#3 - Questions and Enum/EnumList option.

With this structure you would have all sections in the same table but it would have just 5..10 columns. The question you can show with the Display value.

Top Labels in this Space