Table View > Column Display Name for columns TYPE "file"

Hello everyone,

How can I force AppSheet to show the column "Display Name" for a column that his type definition is "file"?

ajhn_0-1643215935132.png

ajhn_1-1643215960061.png

Thanks in advance.

AJHN.

Solved Solved
1 4 493
  • UX
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

1. Data

The virtual column will just be a place holder, its name and contents will not show, so just make it a text column with a formula of "" and perhaps name it "specSheet_Icon".

The column which actually contains the file will have its name shown as "specSheet", unless you want to give it a different Display Name.

2. UX

In the table view, specify the column order to put the vc wherever you want it, I would assume to the right of the specSheet column.

3. Behavior

You should see an Action to open the file, this is created automatically because you have a file type column. If you edit that action, in the Appearance section you will find the Attach to Column option. Change that to be the virtual column you created.

The end result in the table view should be a column with the heading of specSheet and showing the file name, then a column next to it which has no heading but shows the file icon.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

The inline actions (like file icons, links, email etc) will always take precedence over the actual column name and text they are associated with. Therefore you need to create another column (vitual is fine) and attach the inline action to that.

graham_howe_0-1643845963004.png

Thank you for your answer @graham_howe 

I added a virtual column and assigned the column that contains my file type, but I would like to show this field in the "Ref View Form" as "Table View." is this possible?

Where can I find that option "Attach to column"? 

Where can I find that option "Attach to column"? 

1. Data

The virtual column will just be a place holder, its name and contents will not show, so just make it a text column with a formula of "" and perhaps name it "specSheet_Icon".

The column which actually contains the file will have its name shown as "specSheet", unless you want to give it a different Display Name.

2. UX

In the table view, specify the column order to put the vc wherever you want it, I would assume to the right of the specSheet column.

3. Behavior

You should see an Action to open the file, this is created automatically because you have a file type column. If you edit that action, in the Appearance section you will find the Attach to Column option. Change that to be the virtual column you created.

The end result in the table view should be a column with the heading of specSheet and showing the file name, then a column next to it which has no heading but shows the file icon.

Done! Thanks a lot for your time and assistance. @graham_howe 

Top Labels in this Space