Taking iPad & iPhone Photos gives Exclamation Mark?

When taking a photo within Appsheet it often  gives rise to an image Triangle with an Exclamation mark?

Why is this?

How do you fix it?

The photos are actual taken and can be seen in the iPhotos Hidden album, so there is some sort of bug in AppSheet itself?

Solved Solved
1 8 245
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Yes, But not from AppSheet support or on here!

I0S 16 I think was not working with AppSheet.

There was an update on the App Store correcting the issue.

I would have thought AppSheet support would have know that!

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

This may be an issue with the column configuration between saving the image and retrieving it.  When you add a photo into the app, whether retrieving an existing one from the device or taking a photo, the image is saved into your cloud storage based on the column settings.  The sheet path specification is then used to pull that saved image down from the storage.  If the column path configuration doesn't match the sheet spec then you'll end up with an image that can't be found.  This normally happens when trying to implement a custom path. 

Can you show your Image column configuration and what is saved into the sheet when you upload an image?

Thanks for your reply.

The App works perfectly 95% of the time, so it is well tested.

The image problem occurs on iPad once in a while (Perhaps being offline is not as robust as Appsheet say it is?) (Or perhaps there  is a problem with AppSheet's caching?)

Interestingly if you try to insert the photo form the iPhone gallery you  get the same error but if you pick the photo by accessing it from the iPhotos gallery within a browser it works.

The configuration is a standard IMAGE with the Path defaulting to the setting AppSheet uses for the App. 

Ah, so this is offline functionality.  I have less experience with that.

To be honest, there are several quirks about how images work and I don't pretend to understand them all.    It may be worthwhile read over the AppSheet articles to see if there are any helpfuil clues.

Capture Images

Offline and Sync:  The Essentials  (checkout the "Viewing Content Offline" section)

Steve
Platinum 4
Platinum 4

Perhaps the photos are in a format AppSheet doesn't support? Doesn't the iPhone sometimes use a cutting-edge format that isn't widely supported? HEIC, maybe?

Thanks Steve

Just standard photos form the iPAD out of the box

Works one day then another other days there is a issue.

Like I said the photos can be inserted on the desktop browser form iPhotos with no issues.

So definitely ca mobile issue.

Not had the issue on Android as yet either.

If your app is photo-heavy and you have more than a small number of users, I wonder if you might be hitting some sort of quota. Consider contacting AppSheet Support for help on that angle.

GB
Bronze 4
Bronze 4

@Captain did you ever find a resolution?

Yes, But not from AppSheet support or on here!

I0S 16 I think was not working with AppSheet.

There was an update on the App Store correcting the issue.

I would have thought AppSheet support would have know that!

Top Labels in this Space