Template <<Start>> Expression

I have a problem with a template start expression that gives errors about not being able to find column names if I move the <<End>>

Here is a screenshot of what works fine :-

WorksWorks

Yet if I move the <<End>> so that I could insert a subview of those records into the blank table at a later time, the Editor tells me it cannot find any of the fields.

Won't workWon't work

error.PNG

What's going on?  

Solved Solved
0 9 1,020
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

I seem to have solved my own problem ๐Ÿ™‚

I moved the <<Start:[Related ProjectItems]>>  part outside the table rather than being inside the first cell.  Now there are no problems with the expression!

View solution in original post

Thank you. Please try a template something like below.

I think templates expect the <<START:... >> and <<END>> pair either both within the same table columns or both outside.

Please also note the overall one cell table within which the entire template is included. I think that one cell you will need if you have some other ( say parent table's ) template expressions also included. Those parent table expressions can be outside this one cell table.

<<START : [RelatedItems]>>

AmountNameIndividual CostCost 
<<[Amount]>><<[Name]>><<[IndividualCost]>><<[Total Cost]>>

Sub Item Unit CostUnitAmountLengthWorkersCost

<<END>>

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

Could you mention what you mean by subview? Are those columns belonging to the same record or child records?

Haven't even compiled a subview yet @Suvrutt_Gurjar .  I just cannot understand why moving the <<End>> makes the whole expression fail?

I seem to have solved my own problem ๐Ÿ™‚

I moved the <<Start:[Related ProjectItems]>>  part outside the table rather than being inside the first cell.  Now there are no problems with the expression!

Nice. Excellent to know you solved it, I was essentially recommending the same approach( Moving START outside. ) I tried to be elaborate in compiling the entire template and hence the response took time. Many times these template responses need to be very accurate as even one misplaced START or END can cause an issue. ๐Ÿ™‚

Totally!  And I've forgotten the amount of times a left out ')' has foiled me for hours!

This is the issue im facing right now.

From AppSheet's original documentation, it taught differently, meaning the start expression was in the table of their examples.

But now since its not updated, I've been led with un-updated formulas and guidance to follow.

Please start a new topic for help with this.

Thank you. Please try a template something like below.

I think templates expect the <<START:... >> and <<END>> pair either both within the same table columns or both outside.

Please also note the overall one cell table within which the entire template is included. I think that one cell you will need if you have some other ( say parent table's ) template expressions also included. Those parent table expressions can be outside this one cell table.

<<START : [RelatedItems]>>

AmountNameIndividual CostCost 
<<[Amount]>><<[Name]>><<[IndividualCost]>><<[Total Cost]>>

Sub Item Unit CostUnitAmountLengthWorkersCost

<<END>>

Thank you @Suvrutt_Gurjar .  We both came to the same solution ๐Ÿ˜€

Top Labels in this Space