Template tables adding space in the end of the row

Hello! I am using tables to simulate a page in a way I can control better the results and add a footer. Since the number of pages are fixed I don't need to dynamically get the number of pages.

this is the template first page:

draxdeveloper_0-1697726002813.png

and this is the resulting first page:

draxdeveloper_1-1697726080426.png

As you can see, I was able to make the table behavior as it should. That way each table have 3 rows (Header row, body row and footer row) (The first page don't have a header). But here is the issue

draxdeveloper_2-1697726375612.png

The vertical spacing is huge.  There is any way to fix this? I can't change the row height because it would break the tables as pages layout

draxdeveloper_0-1697726958210.png

in fact, it's seems the template is always adding some extra space in the end of each row. You can check the header line, there should be no space between the "a" and the end of the row. The extra space seems related to the row line height

Edit:
It's seems something related to the minimum row height. But if I remove the minimum row height I will lose all the concept of treating a table as a page.
I can do this and manually adjust each page adding blank lines if needed, but this is far from the ideal solution.

Solved Solved
0 1 518
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

You can never rely on the template itself as the representation of the resultant size.  In the template, you are using "placeholders" for the dynamic data and those placeholders will never match in length to the actual data being inserted.  You need to ALWAYS adjust your template based on the generated document (with real data), review it and then make the necessary formatting changes.

@draxdeveloper wrote:

in fact, it's seems the template is always adding some extra space in the end of each row. You can check the header line, there should be no space between the "a" and the end of the row. The extra space seems related to the row line height

I'm not sure the issue here. I assume you are referring to the Page 3 template but you didn't provide the generated example.

Bottom line is you need to decide how you want to adjust the template - now that you have a generated example.  Either you spread out the current data to fill in the whitespace, or adjust your page breaks so that more details are on each page.

@draxdeveloper wrote:

I can't change the row height because it would break the tables as pages layout

I assume this means each box is a single row?  As a quick fix, You might try the Line space setting in the document.  See image

Screenshot 2023-10-19 at 11.14.25โ€ฏAM.png

The best way to control the formatting and spacing is to heavily use tables,  For example, in your very first box, I would make it a table of at least 4 rows (maybe more).  I would then add columns for each indentation you need to control placement of the details horizontally and vertical alignment with details in other rows.  You can always combine table cells if you need a data item to spread across multiple cells.

You will want to get very familiar with controlling changing the table properties to position your dynamic details precisely where you want them

Screenshot 2023-10-19 at 11.23.09โ€ฏAM.png

I hope this helps!

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

You can never rely on the template itself as the representation of the resultant size.  In the template, you are using "placeholders" for the dynamic data and those placeholders will never match in length to the actual data being inserted.  You need to ALWAYS adjust your template based on the generated document (with real data), review it and then make the necessary formatting changes.

@draxdeveloper wrote:

I'm not sure the issue here. I assume you are referring to the Page 3 template but you didn't provide the generated example.

Bottom line is you need to decide how you want to adjust the template - now that you have a generated example.  Either you spread out the current data to fill in the whitespace, or adjust your page breaks so that more details are on each page.

@draxdeveloper wrote:

I can't change the row height because it would break the tables as pages layout

I assume this means each box is a single row?  As a quick fix, You might try the Line space setting in the document.  See image

Screenshot 2023-10-19 at 11.14.25โ€ฏAM.png

The best way to control the formatting and spacing is to heavily use tables,  For example, in your very first box, I would make it a table of at least 4 rows (maybe more).  I would then add columns for each indentation you need to control placement of the details horizontally and vertical alignment with details in other rows.  You can always combine table cells if you need a data item to spread across multiple cells.

You will want to get very familiar with controlling changing the table properties to position your dynamic details precisely where you want them

Screenshot 2023-10-19 at 11.23.09โ€ฏAM.png

I hope this helps!

Top Labels in this Space