Timeseries chart with uneven data

I am migrating a Google Sheet to an AppSheet app, and so far it's great. I'm struggling with one aspect, though, which is to show some time series data in a simple line chart.

The problem is that my measurements are spread out unevenly across time; sometimes there's a few weeks between two measurements, at other times years pass between neighboring ones.

This is how Google Sheets shows the dataโ€”see how the horizontal time axis is continuous, and the measurements are spread out unevenly, as they happened in reality:

lptr_1-1678225642092.png

And this is what AppSheet shows the same measurements, with the points evenly spaced, but not corresponding to how the measurements happened:

lptr_0-1678225514058.png

It's very much like Google Sheets' "Treat labels as text" option, where the chart ignores the fact that the axis represents time.

Would it be possible for AppSheet to show charts with a time axis in a chronologically correct way?

Thanks, great product otherwise! ๐Ÿ™‚

0 3 716
3 REPLIES 3

I think it's because AppSheet's charts shows only items based on real rows in table/slice. So the missing dates are not recognized.

You may need a table containing rows for all dates within your interesting range. Then in AppSheet you create a virtual column for lookup the value (to be used in chart) by matching the date rows with the date on data table. And use this date & value to feed your chart instead.

LOOKUP(
   [_THISROW].[Date],
   "?data table name?",
   "Date",
   "?column's name storing chart value?"
)

It's also possible to use an external chart service, like QuickChart.

Thanks, QuickChart is a good workaround for the time being! A native solution would be nice, still, as an external chart service is convoluted to use, and it loses the interactivity of the chart.

Top Labels in this Space