Totally Delete the Row

Is it possible to totally Delete the row in Google Sheet Row using action in AppSheet?

Now what happen is AppSheet only clear the row in Google Sheet instead of delete the row.

0 9 910
9 REPLIES 9

No. Appsheet only clears the data out of the row. If you need to remove the row, you'd need to use an App Script.

Why?

Because Appsheet allows the use of the _RowNumber value as a Key.

Clearing a row leaves all the other rows still pointing to their related data.

Deleting a row would move all the other rows below it up by one place and their _RowNumber would change...not good!

I know what you mean, but not sure why this is a problem. Spreadsheet is just a soruce of your app, not being frequently being visited to see.....

To be able to maintain all of your related data that has _RowNumber as the Key, Appsheet would have to visit every single row below the row you delete.  For each row it would have to then visit every related table and records for that related table and write a new row Key in every record.

What is a simple concept of delete the row actually turns into many 100s of thousands of data reads/writes/updates to maintain the integrity of the related records.

Clearing the row instead is probably a single write operation to the data source.  No other records need to be touched.

But if i've a UniqueID() as key what is the sense to have also _RowNumber ?

If i delete manually from sheets (Google sheet) the rows leaved blank after deleting records from AppSheet i can cause some issue ?

I think the name itself is misleading, if it says delete this row, it should do what it says and not only clear it

There's not many instances whereby one would need to clear a row vs deleting a row more.

Since appsheet is already intergrated to the google sheet, there's no reason why it cant delete a row since it is already doing most of the operations like write, insert, clear. Appsheet just need to update the call to delete instead of clearing...

The Row Number argument dont really sound convincing ....

My main concern why not only clear the row but totally delete the row is because of performance impact. We need this.

Top Labels in this Space