Trigger an event by changing a cell value without saving

Hi all,
I would like to set a value of a cell when another cell dropdown has changed.
And this should be happen immediately without saving the data.

How could this be done? Initial value is updated only the first time the dropdown cell has been changed.

Thanks, Joachim

0 8 738
8 REPLIES 8

Steve
Platinum 4
Platinum 4

AppSheet doesnโ€™t wok with cells. Do you want to affect the behavior of the spreadsheet itself?

No @SteveCol, what I would like to have is a dropdown list with text snippets which could be changed.
Because the selected dropdown value can not be changed in the cell itself I would like to copy the selected value to another โ€œtextโ€ cell, where it could be changed.

e.g. two fields:

1. dropdown field โ€œsubject selectionโ€, show if ISBLANK([subject]), display name โ€œsubjectโ€
  2. text field โ€œsubjectโ€, show if ISNOTBLANK[subject]), Initial Value [subject selection]

if I add a new record:

1. dropdown field โ€œsubject selectionโ€ is shown as โ€œsubjectโ€
  2. select a value
  3. text field โ€œsubjectโ€ is shown with the initial value which can be edited
  4. if I clear field field โ€œsubjectโ€ than dropdown field โ€œsubject selectionโ€ is shown as โ€œsubjectโ€ again
  5. if I select another dropdown value, than text field โ€œsubjectโ€ is not updated

Because of 5. I tried an event but this will not replace the initial vakue function

Any idea?

Hi @Joachim_Mund
After reading your post I thought about mixing
this:

depending the answer in one cell you will get answers in another cells

and this:

here you can validate what could appear, what happens automatically when you start a form etc.

โ†’ for this you can use AppFormula instead I guess but youโ€™d need to save changes

and that:

depending values in another cells you can limit available values in specific cell using list() I think

I am not sure whether it will help you butโ€ฆ I hope so! After finding out the logic and structure of your app it would be much easier to understand, dive deeper and help you more accurately

What you want to do is not possible in AppSheet.

thank you @mateo for your detailed answer.

Sorry for my bad english, may be I did not described my question clearly enough.

I would like to select a text template and change it afterwards.

I use dependant dropdown to select the text template. This works.

But I can not edit this text template after I selcted it.

Any idea? Thank you

Is it possible to see a short video/gif (at least screen shots) of this what you have already done? I am quite sure we cannot achieve that but still can be wrong because of misunderstanding and that is why I wanna help. It could be useful one day.

You need to change text template when you are still in the form view before saving right?

Maybe instead of using dependant drop-downs you could use formula within initial value to retrieve needed template and just mark this column as editable (if you need you can put formula to validate when it should be editable)? It should also work with Enum column type.

Thank you @mateo.

I believe, that I did not described my issue understandable.
It is not the question how to fill the dropdown list with value (=text snippets),
but the question is how to edit this selected snippet afterwards, which is not possible due to the dropdown list.
I made a very, very simple app to show this and if you send me your mail address I will give you access.

Maybe try this?

Top Labels in this Space