Triggering a workflow when a date is past a certain number of days

I would like to have a workflow trigger when the date of an entry is 14 days past the date entered.
I have tried several “If this is true” options but I haven’t figured out the right formula.

0 12 913
12 REPLIES 12

First to make sure we are clear on how Workflows operate.

Workflows will only trigger based on changes (adds, updates, deletes) to rows. So if you created a trigger to run 14 days after the row was entered, some update activity would need to happen to that row to activate the trigger and the Workflow to fire. Only the rows that had such activity would trigger the workflow.

What processing are you hoping to do perform 2 weeks after the row is entered?

Ideally I was hoping to have the app remind a user that a certain action was needed 14 days after the initial entry was logged…
Preferably to come up when the app is opened. Say when a user logs in.

Then you probably want to look at using Reports. These are time based events primarily used for sending of report files or generating notifications of some type.

I have not used them yet. So I am not certain of a way to show a message when the user opens the app.
I do know that you can send an Email, Text or a Push Notification - even when they are not in the app.

maybe you can make use of that functionality?

I will look into that.
Thank you for your time.

While sending a report would probably be a workaround, do you know what equation I could use to trigger a workflow Only if the current date is 14 days past the initial date of an items entry date? The workflow is now triggering even if an entry was logged 1 day prior.

It should be an expression like:

([Entered Date] + 14 ) <= TODAY()

If [Entered Date] is DateTime type of column then use:

Date([Entered Date] + 14) <= TODAY()

The column type is date only.

I tried ([Date] + 14 ) <= TODAY()

And ([Date] + 14 ) <= NOW() since the entry date is auto generated by NOW()

The workflow still triggers on entries made a few days prior.

David,

Can you take a step back and explain what you are trying to achieve more clearly?
As John said, based on what you have written thus far, I think you will need to use the Report feature.

With respect to the expression.

If you want to select records where the “Date” is exactly 14 days ago you should write:
([Date] + 14 ) = TODAY()

If you want to select records where the “Date” is 14 days ago or more you should write:
([Date] + 14 ) <= TODAY()

I have a mushroom farm growing gourmet mushrooms. Each step of the process is approximately X number of days from the prior step.
I’d like to have a notice come up in each items field reminding the user something needs to be done. That part I’ve got working. When something is needed it puts up a notice in that items field. But, the date that is needed to be done isn’t working.
I tried ([Date] + 14 ) <= TODAY() as you suggest but when I open an item it is still triggering the workflow in items that were just logged in 4 days ago.
I’d like it to only trigger at 14 days (in this particular aspect)

Ah, since [Date] is a DateTime, you need to grab just the Date portion before adding 14. The expression I provided above had the parenthesis off. It should be:

DATE([Date]) + 14 <= TODAY()

I do not think you need parenthesis around the addition.

That did it John.
Items that were entered up to and past 14 days now come up with the option to check what is needed. Items that are not in that particular phase do not.
Thank you sir,
David

You’re welcome!

Top Labels in this Space