Triggering email templates for editing

I am using Appsheet as my business's personalized, light, intuitive contact tracker. I get referrals, create an entry for the contact, and track my follow-up with clients and set dates for the next follow-up. That functionality is running almost exactly as I need it to without me making it more complex.

Something I would like to be able to do is generate email templates for milestones/standard actions that I can manually request by pressing a button. For instance; Client A has reached a point where I want to call up a "Congratulations" template I have saved in Google Docs.....but I also don't want the email to automatically send, as I tweak a few details to personalize it beyond just changing their name. Right now I'm bouncing between Appsheet to update the contact, Google Docs to copy my template, and Outlook to paste the text and personalize before sending. I want to go into Appsheet to update the status, and press a button to trigger an outlook email to send with the template populated.

I'd like to eliminate the Google Docs part of that workflow. My ideal scenario is a page in Appsheet with columns of buttons that, when pressed, trigger the template to populate in an Outlook window so I can get right to tweaking and sending.

Is it a big difference? Probably not to you, but it will help me make sure I'm not NOT sending something because I forget or I'm being lazy. Is this something that Appsheet can handle?

If I'm not explaining my use case please let me know. I'd share my App but it has sensitive client information saved. Thank you for any help or direction!

Solved Solved
0 4 105
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@THISisBILL wrote:

I would assume that one is easier than another?

Yes.  AppSheet does have an action type called "Start an email".  It allows for pre-populating the To field. Subject and Email body.  However, it only supports text and NOT Rich Text or HTML formatting. 

The idea is that you can create a series of "Start an email" actions all with established email body text and maybe Subject lines.  Then surface each of these actions where appropriate in your app. 

When tapping the button, the action can grab the intended email address from the app row and then open an email window in your default email client with all the details pre-populated.  You will then be free to tweak and modify in whatever way the email client allows.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Are you looking to have the email body nicely formatted or just text-based content?

Text-based is fine probably, I am not sending anything complex. I can put in any formatting (bolding/lists/etc) after the fact.

@THISisBILL wrote:

Yes.  AppSheet does have an action type called "Start an email".  It allows for pre-populating the To field. Subject and Email body.  However, it only supports text and NOT Rich Text or HTML formatting. 

The idea is that you can create a series of "Start an email" actions all with established email body text and maybe Subject lines.  Then surface each of these actions where appropriate in your app. 

When tapping the button, the action can grab the intended email address from the app row and then open an email window in your default email client with all the details pre-populated.  You will then be free to tweak and modify in whatever way the email client allows.

Thank you, I'm playing around with it now, and it does appear that this will do what I am looking for! Whether it'll be the easy solution I'm hoping for or not is yet to be seen, but I very much appreciate you pointing me in the right direction.

Top Labels in this Space