Two apps using one spreadsheet

In my late night search for solution for something else, I came across one suggestion about creating a second app for the same set of data, but with different permissions, as a solution to control different levels of access. But I can't find it anymore. 

So is that a viable approach? Has anyone done it? What should one look out for?

Solved Solved
0 11 199
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

1 - To hide columns from users, you can use SWITCH() in SHOW_IF(2) section from UX(1)

Islom_2-1664601135739.png

2 -  In order to give certain access for users you may SWITCH() formula in Table(1)  -> Sample(2)
1)

Islom_1-1664601731885.png

2)

Islom_0-1664600857206.png

Also, check out this first: https://support.google.com/appsheet/answer/10107700?hl=en

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

@yumei wrote:

but with different permissions, as a solution to control different levels of access

Mmm, this is weird. Why don't you setup permissions on just one app? There are plenty of ways

Well, I'm new to AppSheet and find it very fragile. Any little thing could mess up an entire app. The more complex features I add, the harder it is to keep it all together. Since this particular app is built for a specific group of people, with different degrees of comfort with technology--and different access permissions, I thought it'd be cleaner just to have a different app, rather than diving into permission details, esp. if it involves expressions.

I've found that when you understand column types right, things work quite well without problems.

Maybe give it a shot on a non-production app and when you feel comfortable doing permission stuff, make the main one

It seems to me that you may be referring to something other than "txt", "name", or "enum". Is that right? Suppose I want to hide certain date from some users, or make certain views "read only" to some other users--would column types come into play?

You can have a Users table and the understanding of column types, list manipulation, dereference expressions and more us crucial to make a complex system

Can you be more specific? Do yo have an example?

1 - To hide columns from users, you can use SWITCH() in SHOW_IF(2) section from UX(1)

Islom_2-1664601135739.png

2 -  In order to give certain access for users you may SWITCH() formula in Table(1)  -> Sample(2)
1)

Islom_1-1664601731885.png

2)

Islom_0-1664600857206.png

Also, check out this first: https://support.google.com/appsheet/answer/10107700?hl=en

Thanks for the links!!!

You opened my eyes... never thought AppSheet could do something like this!

And I'd consider that a permission setup is one of the basics that AppSheet can do

Top Labels in this Space