USERROLE() versus implementing via a column - positives / negatives?

I have a separate tab/sheet that serves to be an indicator that a user is an admin/manager. 

Looking at USERROLE(), I'm wondering what are the positives/negatives of just using USERROLE() instead of doing it myself in this separate sheet? 

I don't anticipate having more than 2 "types" of users, normal users and admins/managers. 

Other record / view permissions will be handled based on who the record is assigned to. 

Solved Solved
0 2 101
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@dbweb wrote:

what are the positives/negatives of just using USERROLE() instead of doing it myself in this separate sheet?

As you alluded to, USERROLE is far less extensible although it may meet your current needs. Moreover, it requires managing user roles via app sharing rather than via app data, which can be easier and more flexible. See some related points in  SUMMARY TIP: User permissions, roles, and settings - Google Cloud Community

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

@dbweb wrote:

what are the positives/negatives of just using USERROLE() instead of doing it myself in this separate sheet?

As you alluded to, USERROLE is far less extensible although it may meet your current needs. Moreover, it requires managing user roles via app sharing rather than via app data, which can be easier and more flexible. See some related points in  SUMMARY TIP: User permissions, roles, and settings - Google Cloud Community

Thanks!

Top Labels in this Space