Unique function behavior in automations

It would be helpful if the AppSheet Help Center included a clear, consolidated reference regarding which functions and options within functions work in unique ways in expressions invoked during an automation. For example, the  CONTEXT() | AppSheet Help Center article helpfully explains for the Host, View, and ViewType options the values that are returned within an automation. However, I don't see analogous information for the Table option in that article even though it's explained as dependent on the user's view (as opposed to more broadly as the table whose data is being viewed or otherwise acted upon) nor in other articles like for the USERROLE() and USEREMAIL() functions. My hunch is that those user-based functions are meaningless when run within an automation, but I also wonder whether maybe they're actually reliable at least when the automation's event trigger is a data change--e.g., maybe the server knows the user that made the data change.

1 1 72
1 REPLY 1

Steve
Platinum 4
Platinum 4

A scheduled automation is always performed by the account that owns the app, so USEREMAIL() and USERROLE() will reflect the app owner when used in a scheduled Automation. In a data change-triggered Automation, they'll reflect the user that made the change.

I'll escalate your request to the docs team.

Top Labels in this Space