Update Current Device Owner based on last form submission

Hello everyone,

Apologies if I made this post too long.

I'm new to AppSheet and I started creating an app, but I ran out of ideas on how to proceed with what I want.

I have a spreadsheet with Data for devices (with 2 tables: Devices and PV, PV will be used for a form) and I want to create an inventory app based on it. 

Columns that I have in the Devices table - [Serial Number] [Device Type] [Username] [Full Name] and others, but these are the most important ones

What I'm struggling with is making the [Full Name] value of the cell for a specific [Serial Number] change based on the last entry in the PV table which is added when the form is submitted.

For example - serial number xyz belongs to John today. I fill the form tomorrow and I say that xyz belongs to Mike, I want the app to update the [Full Name] from John to Mike, but I can't figure it out. I have different ideas - either update based on time - having a date column with NOW() as initial value and doing a check on form submission if the serial number already has a submission. OR using [Serial number] like an ID and replacing the value of the [Full Name] cell with the latest one.

I did something similar, but with Quantity updates. Form submit > update quantity of x product by the amount specified in the form, and it worked. But the same idea doesn't seem to work for "Name" columns.

Currently I'm using this app only to create documents when a specific employee receives equipment and email it to him as PDF on form submit. I want the app to also auto-update the devices sheet with the owner of that device when the form is submitted rather than having to do formulas in the spreadsheet. (even though that might be easier?)

I'm not looking for a solution, all I want is a point in the right direction and I'll try to do it by myself ๐Ÿ˜„

Thanks in advance,

Razvan

0 3 112
3 REPLIES 3

Steve
Platinum 4
Platinum 4

If using a form to update the serial number, attach a Form Saved event action in the form view config that updates the full name.

Nothing to do with this thread, but you @Steve does not carry "Staff" for Google for your avator, but poster does have that.

Not sure if the Google interal member throw the question to this comuinty, and non-google guys are ansering to the question? This is my long running mystery.

Hey Steve,

Thanks for the reply, I'll try what you suggested and let you know.

Also, Koichi, I've no idea to be honest, but I don't think anyone would mind if we post here since the questions are AppSheet related. I don't know if there is an internal-only community for AppSheet Q&As, but I'll check out of curiosity if there is one.

Top Labels in this Space