Updating a dynamic list of options within the app

I came here from google forms.

I have a changing list of many options that a user can select on google forms in a drop down menu. This list is pulled from a google sheet onto google forms. When the list changes, the options that a user can select is changed on the form.

If this app is to be useful to me, the option must also change within the app. When appsheets did the import from the form, it pulled only the list of options that was available at that time. I need it to update dynamically.

Is there a way to get appsheets to pull a list from a google sheet and get it to display as a list of options under type โ€œenumโ€?

More detailed: Id like 3 panels where employees โ€œaddโ€ entries on 3 sheets, and 2 panels in the app where admins can โ€œupdateโ€ 2 other sheets that populate employee options when they add entries. Iโ€™m currently doing this with google forms and the add-on form ranger, id like it to be more presentable with an app.

Solved Solved
0 3 2,278
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Answering my own question here. But if anyone has a similar question, one can figure out how to do this or something similar by โ€œlooking under the hoodโ€ here:

https://www.appsheet.com/samples/How-to-create-a-dropdown-menu-with-values-that-depend-on-earlier-ch...

Please note that it isnโ€™t โ€œdepending on earlier choicesโ€ thats the answer, so much as that it pulls the options from a list elsewhere, and that if you were to change that list on the doc, it should update the options on your app.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Answering my own question here. But if anyone has a similar question, one can figure out how to do this or something similar by โ€œlooking under the hoodโ€ here:

https://www.appsheet.com/samples/How-to-create-a-dropdown-menu-with-values-that-depend-on-earlier-ch...

Please note that it isnโ€™t โ€œdepending on earlier choicesโ€ thats the answer, so much as that it pulls the options from a list elsewhere, and that if you were to change that list on the doc, it should update the options on your app.

It looks like I have run into the same issue as you, but I'm now sure I understand your solution. Could you possibly elaborate how I can update my dropdown options?

Oh I got it, the solution is in the Data Validity.

I had to add my Google Sheet, which contained the options, to the App as data. In the Dropdown (enum) column of the original table, the data is set to "Valid If" the options table contains the options collumn.

EG.

1. Added Google Sheet "Options" which contains the list of JobNumbers
  2. Edit JobNumbers (Enum) column from original table; under Data Validity, column is Valid If Options[JobNumbers]
  3. I guess this forces AppSheet to pull the data to check validity
  4. Dropdown menu now contains updated values
  5. Even better, I can now filter the options

Thankyou OP

Top Labels in this Space