Uploading CSV Action - Symbols

Hi, I have an action to upload a CSV file to the app. One of the products we have has a degree symbol in it 

Sarah_Keown_0-1649945639161.png

And appears in the app as if it wasn't a valid product and a strange symbol in it? 

Sarah_Keown_1-1649945689104.png

Can this be avoided in anyway or is there a specific reason that this would be happening?

Thanks

0 8 289
8 REPLIES 8

Did you already try the technique regarding symbols that's explained in Import a CSV File for This View? You may need to ensure the csv is in Unicode format.

I have tried to save the file as below 

Sarah_Keown_0-1651832201920.png

but still getting the symbols, they are preventing the upload as they are not a valid product. 

Sarah_Keown_1-1651832264667.png

I tried to save in notepad as txt but it wouldn't let me upload. 

In troubleshooting my own csv imports, I've seen different results using Sheets, Excel, and Notepad, and different Save As formats within each. I've actually observed fewer issues using each app's default Save As csv format as compared to explicitly selecting one of the options like UTF-8.

Anyway, if you spell out the steps you're following to create the csv--e.g., what's the data source from which you're exporting the data to begin with (or is it manually typed out?), which other app(s) is it opened in, how are you saving it out of those apps--maybe others can help suggest alternatives to try.

I'm using an excel workbook that users fill out, the majority of the data is just manually input. 

For the product selection (which is where I'm seeing the issues with the symbols), users use a VLOOKUP to search for the product code in the catalogue (another excel workbook with the list of products) and bring in the Product Group, Sub-Group and Product.  

Sarah_Keown_0-1652707549707.png

The "Export to CSV" action uses VBA code to automatically create the CSV file for the user to use when uploading to the app. This is where I tried to save the file as "CSV UTF-8". 

Sarah_Keown_1-1652707658876.png

Sarah,

That error appears to be coming from the 'Valid_If' condition.  My guess is CSV is importing the value correctly and it is failing 'Valid_If'.

I would try doing a CSV Import into a Text field with no 'Valid_If' and see what value gets imported. If you see that the expected value is imported, you can focus on the 'Valid_If'.

Hi Sarah,
Did using Unicode solve the problem as dbaum suggested?
Thanks for doing that dbaum!

If so, I want to update the article dbaum cited to mention this case also.

I haven't had the chance to try it out yet unfortunately

I just tested it and dbaum is correct. CSV Import of the Degree Sign works if the CSV file is in Unicode format as described in the article dbaum cited.

I have updated topic "CSV File with Unicode Data" in article https://help.appsheet.com/en/articles/5340448-import-a-csv-file-for-this-view to say:

If your CSV file contains Unicode data, make certain the file is save in Unicode format. For example, on Microsoft Windows you can:

1. Open the CSV file in Notepad.

2. From the File menu select Save As...

3. In the Encoding dropdown select any of the UTF values such as UTF-8 or UTF-8 with BOM (Byte Order Mark).

4. Click Save

For example, this is necessary if:

The file contains any of the five French accent marks:

• ç – la cédille (the cedilla)

• é – l'accent aigu (the acute accent)

• â/ê/î/ô/û – l'accent circonflexe (the circumflex)

• à/è/ì/ò/ù – l'accent grave (the grave accent)

• ë/ï/ü – le tréma (the trema)

The file contains Greek, Russian, or Arabic characters.

• Α α, Β β, Γ γ, Δ δ, Ε ε, Ζ ζ, Η η, Θ θ, Ι ι, Κ κ, Λ λ, Μ μ, Ν ν, Ξ ξ, Ο ο, Π π, Ρ ρ, Σ σ/ς, Τ τ, Υ υ, Φ φ, Χ χ, Ψ ψ, and Ω ω. (Greek characters)

• А, Б, В, Г, Д, Е, Ё, Ж, З, И, Й, К, Л, М, Н, О, П, Р, С, Т, У, Ф, Х, Ц, Ч, Ш, Щ, Ъ, Ы, Ь, Э, Ю, Я (Russian characters)

The file contains Unicode currency signs such as:

• The Pound sign £

• The Euro sign

• The Yen sign ¥

• The Cent sign ¢

The file contains Unicode signs such as:

• The Degree Sign °

• The Copyright Sign ©

• The Registered Sign ®

The file contains Fraction signs such as:

• The One Quarter Sign ¼

• The One Half Sign ½

• The Three Quarters Sign ¾

The file contains Unicode superscripts or subscripts.

Top Labels in this Space