Uploading a PDF file - filename changes

Hi all. 

I'm tring to handle how filetype column uploads PDF file. I have a column with filetype, where I click to import PDF file through file explorer. It uploads file into that field, only it doesn't retain it's original file name, but gets something like this: 1.xyz.211742.pdf (I assume it adds it to be unique).

It's important it retains original file name since I already set it up inside appsheet so they all have unique file name (example: Primka_1 with number incrementing with each new file) so appsheet doesn't reall need to fix it.

How can I manage that? I'm sure there's a setting where I can achieve this.

Thank you in advance.

0 8 182
8 REPLIES 8

I'm afraid you can't change this behavior with the file column. It saves the file with that format so it would be unique with the row + column + timestamp.

Thanks for clarifying.

I'll try to explain what I'm trying to achieve here. We are a very small company which sells construction tools. We also communicate between buyers and repair shops. This is where I come in. I created a table where I can track everything that happens between buyer bringing tools to us and later returning it repaired.

So to have everything in paper, I need to have "Primka" (receipt that we received tools from xy buyer, with xy problem, on xy date etc.), then "Nalog za servis" (this documents transferring tool from us to repair shop) and at last "Otpremnica" (documents us returning tools back to buyer).

So, I have 3 columns with those names and filetype fields. First bot is set to run when I enter initial data and hit "save" - it takes data from 6 columns needed and creates a "Primka" PDF which is then saved and visible in column. Problem is creating other 2 bots or some other solution for this to work.

Important thing is I need to have file names saved in a way I set up files from "Primka" column - I used formula for this: CONCATENATE("/Primke/", "Primka", "_", [ID] ) as I want to have this format: document with ID number from my ID column so all documents are connected (Primka_1, Nalog_1 and Otpremnica_1 will be in same task/row).

I have been trying to figure this out in several ways but since I'm still a newbie in Appsheet, I'm hitting a wall here.

Thank you for dedicating Your time helping me.

So.. you are actually not importing files to your file columns. You are creating those files with an Automation Bot and then you just want to open those files from your file columns, right?

I have been just editing my answer while you wrote answer ๐Ÿ™‚ above is more detailed answer.
Since I didn't know how to approach this, I have tried both creating new bots and by uploading manually (this is why I mentioned uploading, but I'd like to avoid manual upload if possible).

I can make some screenshots if it helps?

So.. you would need 3 Bot if you are able to generate them all at the same time. With the Step, you can specify the file name and folder where that file is saved. Then you just need to write the file name and the path starting from the folder where the gSheet is to your file column with an app formula.

I'm guessing 3 bots would be best solution, but thing is they don't occur at same time.

First one is made immediately on entry - as noted this works with bot connected to form save button.

Second one could be made to work immediately or soon after this so maybe I might add a step in same bot to make another file and save in another column?

Third is made at end - this might happen 15-45 days later.

All PDF's use various columns from same sheet - most same, but some are different based on column.

I'm not sure where to "attach" those 2 other bots as first bot is attached to form save button.

You just create them with the same or separate Bots or steps, it doesn't matter. Just add the file name in the file column with an IFS() so it only saves the file name when the actually PDF is created. Though you can add that file name with the Bot as well.

Top Labels in this Space