Use of Excel Beta Version

Gert1

Good day.

Is it possible to use a WorkBook created with the Insider Beta Version of Excel as datasource in AppSheet?

Thanks

Gert.

0 8 131
8 REPLIES 8

Appsheet can only use cloud-stored data. Does โ€œInsider Beta Version of Excelโ€ get stored on the same cloud storage as regular Excel?

Why donโ€™t you try it out and see if it works and let us know?

I donโ€™t see why the Excel version could affect anything since the most important thing is where the data is saved.
Microsoft 365 for example:

Gert1

@Marc_Dillon
@SkrOYC
The xlsx file is on onedrive and works fine with Excel beta version.
The problem I am trying to figure out is, by what is the data served to appsheet. Not knowledgeable on this myself but i am sure appsheet uses something like an excel api to communicate with the workbook to retrieve and save data.
I also think that the api will be based on some version of excel.
The Office insider beta version of office 365 is the newest unreleased version of the suite used by office insiders to test and propose new features.
In the beta version of 365 there are some new powerful formulas, one of them being the lambda() which gives you the ability to define and name your own functions which can be called recursively, with their own parameters.

I have a sheet full of lambda() functions and i tried it on appsheet but get an error on the defined functions.
The same as happens when you try to ooen the file with the released version of office 365.

I dont have enough knowledge of the ins and outs of appsheet so i assume that appsheet uses the latest released version of Excel 365 to communicate with the worksheet.

Maybe my question should be if it is possible to tell appsheet what version of excel 365 to use and if the beta version can then be used also?

Gert.

The excel version you use and everything you talked about applies to the client. It doesnโ€™t affect the data.
Data is fetched server side

Load the sheet blank first, then add the lambda functions, so that Appsheet doesnโ€™t even know about them. Or just steer clear of that completely, I wouldnโ€™t recommend it.

Gert1

@SkrOYC
Then in this case Appsheet is the client.
And the server is where Appsheet gets the data from.
So how can I get Appsheet to not give an error on the newly defined functions:

Gert

You shouldnโ€™t be using excel on another thing thatโ€™s not just plain range of data or even tables. Thatโ€™s my advice.
You can read more here

Steve
Platinum 4
Platinum 4

Not supported.

Top Labels in this Space