User registration with App

Is there any way to create a registration Form for users to register with my app and be placed within the security table?

0 13 3,201
13 REPLIES 13

Steve
Platinum 4
Platinum 4

Depends on what you mean by โ€œsecurity tableโ€.

@Steve
I believe @gpjoseph is mentioning if he can white-list the user from a form, which is not possible.

Something like this. Where if they donโ€™t have a login they can โ€œSign upโ€.

@gpjoseph
User login in AppSheet is authenticated thru supported Cloud providers only. This means, your users should have an email address associated with one of these cloud providers. Besides, you need to add these users from the Users pane of the editor. Unfortunately there is no user registration mechanism that you are searching for.

Thank you.

@gpjoseph
There is one exception here:
Provided you subscribe to Business Plan, then you may integrate AWS Cognito or OKTA for user management and authentication. Both of them have a sign-in feature and besides they can use whatever email address they want as long as itโ€™s a valid email address.

You could set your security settings to allow all signed in users and use a custom starting view to show a form in their useremail() does not exist in your user table (part of your data source, not the App User Whitelist). Once they sign up, they would be redirected to the functional views within your app.

@Stefan_Quartemont
You have a right but then @gpjoseph will not be having user control and will have to pay high license fees. And that option will be valid only for approved cloud providers. So if he sets all the signed in users to get in, even they choose to register to see the app build or not, the signed in email will be counted as a distinct user and will require a user licence indeed. If the intention is having a secure app, your proposal is not a good way of handling the secure user management I believe.

@LeventK I agree, this strategy is dependent on your use case and has drawback if youโ€™re trying to make a โ€œPublic appโ€.

You could simulate user whitelist control through security filters that limit access to only users that exist in the User Data table, but youโ€™re right that you canโ€™t protect your monthly usage count very well.

Definitely a use case dependent strategy.

@Stefan_Quartemont
Besides AppSheet had lately removed the use of Security Filter expressions from Public apps. You can only use FALSE statement which will prevent you slicing data as per user data in a public app as well.

Thankโ€™s everyone.

I do see that the pricing option may hinder my client using my app.

@gpjoseph there is a good reason we donโ€™t allow this. We do not want anyone to be managing user authentication and security themselves. For example, passwords need to be stored in specific secure ways (โ€œsaltedโ€ and encrypted using modern encryption algorithms) and you definitely do not want to be doing that in a spreadsheet.

For your scenario, you should probably use Cognito for authentication. You can configure it in a variety of ways to allow users to sign up or to even ask you (the admin) for permission, etc.

Thank you.

I had no idea of Cognito. Review its capabilities.

Top Labels in this Space