Using Sum IF Function for dependent dropdowns

Hi,
I have a table which uses dependent dropdowns to generate user data. For instance, User selects the department which opens up sub departments using dependent dropdown(valid if function) where money spent is entered. Now i want to make a separate table which calculates sum of money spent for all the sub departments.

For instance:
Suppose user selected Marketing department he now gets option for Marketing 1, Marketing 2, Marketing 3 etc. and then he enters money spent value for particular Marketing 1,2,3 etc.
Here i want to create a table which sums all the values of money spent for these particular sub departments.

Someone please help on this matter.

Thanks

0 6 154
6 REPLIES 6

Steve
Platinum 4
Platinum 4

Perhaps something like this as the App formula expression for a virtual column in the “separate table which calculates sum of money spent for all the sub departments”:

SUM(
  SELECT(
    table1[money-spent],
    ([_THISROW].[sub department] = [sub department])
  )
)

Replace table1 with the name of the table in which the user enters the money spent; replace money-spent with the name of the column in which the use enters the money spent; and sub department with the name of the column that contains the sub department name.

I tried this but the problem which arises is that my sub department is a dependent drop down which makes it a list. I cannot compare lists with text.
I tried to make a virtual column to convert it to text but then it converts all possible values of the dependent dropdown as a text. Hence the difficulty.

Thanks and kind regards,
Aman Kataria

This doesn’t make sense. Please post a screenshot showing the complete expression and the error message.

Hi, I think I have a solution for ur problem. Try this.

SUM(SELECT(TABLE_NAME[Spent_column],([Option_column] = "Marketing 1")))

Is there a way I can extract only the selected value to compare.

Thanks and kind regards,
Aman Kataria

If I understand, one of the [sub-department] columns is actually a list of values. In this case you would need to add in the IN() function like so:

SUM(
  SELECT(
    table1[money-spent],
    IN([_THISROW].[sub department], [sub department])
  )
)

NOTE: For the IN() function, the first parameter is typically a single value, the second is a list OR a column that contains a list.

Top Labels in this Space