Using multiple Inline Views / Reference Views for the same table

Hi everyone,

I’m new to AppSheet and I’m building a custom inspection app.
I have already set up the data and created all the references between tables and the app as suggested by AppSheet works beautifully. I am amazed by what AppSheet can do out of the box.

At the moment I’m struggling with a UX problem with “Related” tables. I set up a couple of tables that reference one another, e.g. the Table “Team Role” references both an “Inspection” (e.g. inspection “04/08/21 Building 1”) and a Person (e.g. “jane@example.com”).

In the same way the table “Tasks” references “People” and “Inspections” and gets displayed both in the Views for “People” and “Inspections” as an inline table called “Related Tasks”. This automated inline view is exactly what I need.

My problem is that AppSheet generates an automatic Inline View using all columns of “Tasks” which is pretty long and tedious to scroll through. This “Task_Inline” View is a Reference View (Reference Views | AppSheet Help Center) that I can edit.

I would like to use a different inline view for Tasks in the views for Inspections and People. E.g. in the view “People” I would like the task inline view to be a table with the columns “Summary”, “Inspection” and “Status” and in the “Inspections” view I would like it to be a table with the columns “Summary”, “Assignee” and “Status”.

When the user is accessing the “Inspection” view the reference to the “Inspection” itself is listed as the first column of the Tasks table, which is unnecessary in this context and the user needs to scroll a lot to find the columns that are actually relevant.

Is there a way to use multiple reference views for the same table?

Best
Melanie

Solved Solved
2 4 1,649
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Please try below.
You could create two slices on the “Tasks” table, called say “Tasks People” and “Tasks Inspections”. You could assign the desired columns in respective views in the respective slices.

In the “People Table” , please have the reverse reference column expression something like

REF_ROWS(“Tasks People”, “Tasks Table Key”)

In the “Inspections Table” , please have the reverse reference column expression something like

REF_ROWS(“Tasks Inspections”, “Tasks Table Key”)

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Hey Melanie,

AppSheet Training has a video on a vehicle inspection build on their YouTube channel that might be of some help.

I have linked below to that video and started it at the 24:10 mark because that’s when Justin talks about inline views so maybe that will be able to point you in the right direction for what you are looking for.

Link: Field Inspection App - AppSheet Tutorial for Beginners - YouTube

Hope this helps,
Cale

Hi Cale!

Thanks for the fast reply! The tip with the column order was very helpful.
I can limit the number of columns in the inline view now. However, I am still struggling to find a way to use two different Inline Views in one app.
I want to use one inline view of “Tasks” in “People” and another inline view of “Tasks” in “Inspections” is that at all possible?
If it isn’t possible, I will just limit the columns in the inline view to columns that are the most useful.

PS: @QREW_Cale The link in your profile is broken: http://qrewtech.com/welcome

Please try below.
You could create two slices on the “Tasks” table, called say “Tasks People” and “Tasks Inspections”. You could assign the desired columns in respective views in the respective slices.

In the “People Table” , please have the reverse reference column expression something like

REF_ROWS(“Tasks People”, “Tasks Table Key”)

In the “Inspections Table” , please have the reverse reference column expression something like

REF_ROWS(“Tasks Inspections”, “Tasks Table Key”)

Interesting idea. I need to get used to using slices for everything I guess. 

That should do the trick! I think I'll limit the number of columns now and try your suggestion if the client wants specific columns, 

Thanks!

Top Labels in this Space