Using password to control access to reports?

My app for the moment I have not implemented access by user (I don't know how to do it yet, I just started to investigate), but I need access to the operation reports to be controlled by a password so that the business owner can see them, how do I implement this functionality without having access controlled by the type of user? and by the way, any article that you recommend for me to learn how to manage the roles in the apps?
Thank you very much as always for your help

Solved Solved
0 4 551
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

@Juanjoge wrote:

but I need access to the operation reports to be controlled by a password so that the business owner can see them, how do I implement this functionality without having access controlled by the type of user?

Are these visual reports viewed in the app, reports generated by the app maybe in PDF Form or something else?

@Juanjoge wrote:

any article that you recommend for me to learn how to manage the roles in the apps?

Currently, AppSheet only natively supports "Admin" and "User" roles.  You can find out more how to use these with the USERROLE() function.

If you need more roles supported in your app, you will need to build custom tables to manage it - which is very commonly done.  this typically involves a "Users" table and a "Roles" table at a minimum.  Roles are a column in the Users table to assign one or more roles.   Then throughout the app, you would allow access to views and buttons/actions based on the role(s) set for the user.

In this type of app, you will be accessing the info about the currently logged in user all over the app.  Many of us take advantage of a technique using a Slice to easily retrieve the user info.  This technique is well documented in this article below:

Using the CurrentUser Slice

I hope this helps!!

View solution in original post

You may want to elaborate what you mean access to reports? Assuming reports are files that you have stored in file type columns of app records. 

With Appsheet you can control row level access to users based on their log in email using security filters.  Please take a look at the following help articles. The second article describes role based access techniques as well.

Security: The Essentials - AppSheet Help

Limit users to their own data - AppSheet Help

Security filters: The Essentials - AppSheet Help

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

@Juanjoge wrote:

but I need access to the operation reports to be controlled by a password so that the business owner can see them, how do I implement this functionality without having access controlled by the type of user?

Are these visual reports viewed in the app, reports generated by the app maybe in PDF Form or something else?

@Juanjoge wrote:

any article that you recommend for me to learn how to manage the roles in the apps?

Currently, AppSheet only natively supports "Admin" and "User" roles.  You can find out more how to use these with the USERROLE() function.

If you need more roles supported in your app, you will need to build custom tables to manage it - which is very commonly done.  this typically involves a "Users" table and a "Roles" table at a minimum.  Roles are a column in the Users table to assign one or more roles.   Then throughout the app, you would allow access to views and buttons/actions based on the role(s) set for the user.

In this type of app, you will be accessing the info about the currently logged in user all over the app.  Many of us take advantage of a technique using a Slice to easily retrieve the user info.  This technique is well documented in this article below:

Using the CurrentUser Slice

I hope this helps!!

You may want to elaborate what you mean access to reports? Assuming reports are files that you have stored in file type columns of app records. 

With Appsheet you can control row level access to users based on their log in email using security filters.  Please take a look at the following help articles. The second article describes role based access techniques as well.

Security: The Essentials - AppSheet Help

Limit users to their own data - AppSheet Help

Security filters: The Essentials - AppSheet Help

In case it's helpful, you can also use a Call a script task to control access permissions for files in Google Drive via an Apps Script project.

great, many thanks!!!

Top Labels in this Space