Using the Barcode Scanner as a search

Hi community!

I'm new to Appsheet and I'm wondering if anyone can help me with this question?  I'm using Appsheet with SmartSheet and on the whole it is going really well.  I've hit a stumbling block with the scanner functionality.

Is it possible to scan a bar code in Appsheet and for the App to automatically take you to the full record that contains that same barcode information?  

In our scenario we are using SmartSheet to list "jobs" and Appsheet enables you by using the scanner to locate the "job" information by scanning the job sheet in the workshop.

Is there an example of this online or a demo I can follow?

Really appreciate any help here

1 4 1,750
4 REPLIES 4

HBT
Silver 4
Silver 4

1- @Lynn   There is an application that he shared.
2- With a Bluetooth barcode scanner on the mobile device, with a handheld barcode scanner on the computer,
3- And you can still read barcodes with the camera on the mobile device.

App link from @lnyy 

HBT_0-1644841656641.png

Just as added information to HBT's post.

You should read this help document.

From your Q&A entry, I kinda assumed that you are trying to scan a QR code that points to the location of the information related to the jobs to navigate to it and not really store that information within the app to further process it.

If that is the case, why do you even need AppSheet? Plenty of barcode scanner apps already out there. - Just curious.

Anyway if you want a clickable icon in the app, Scan enabled column is set to Text as in the help document . And to make your app clickable to the scanned URL, then you need another column that is set to URL and has as its initial value to the scannable column.

Thanks @HBT and @TeeSee1 really appreciate your help.

@TeeSee1 currently 100% of the companies management system is built in SmartSheet so using Appsheet to create an app seemed a logical way to go.

A job (one of many) gets created in SmartSheet and a printed drawing with a barcode is also created, the drawing gets taken into the workshop which is scanned so the worker can locate job information in the system.

The app we've created in Appsheet syncs beautifully with SmartSheet so jobs can be discussed, alerts can be set and status updated. Appsheet's UI is also really good so it is easy to use.  Using Appsheet's scanner the worker will be able to easily locate the job, without a scanner the worker could accidentally open the wrong job and update the wrong status.

Our core reason for the scanner functionality is to help the worker locate the job in the system very easily.

I'll take a look at these solutions now.

Thanks again

Thanks for your explanation of the background.

I really do not think AppSheet's barcode functionality is not a good fit for your use case.

Since If your app is already integrated with your Smartsheet's "Jobs" sheet, which I presume, contains job info urls, then you could simply have your workshop attendants do job search on the AppSheet app and click on the available URL link - Go paperless 😁.

Just a thought.

Maybe others have different views on this.

Cheers!

Top Labels in this Space