Using the same column twice for input

Hi All,

I have data in two tables. One table of items, the other containing locations. The Item table contains a column with reference to the Location table, so Items can be organized by Location. Standard stuff.

I would like to be able manipulate Item records by their Location, that is: move Items from one Location to another either new or existing Location, or swap the contents of two Locations. 

My initial thought was to use a Form View of the Location table to pick two Locations from drop-down menus and then perhaps use an Action to modify the Location data of the related Item records, but the Form View doesn't allow the same column to appear twice - so I am obviously approaching this wrong.

Any suggestions as to a general method would be appreciated.

Many thanks!

0 2 85
2 REPLIES 2

Create an action on the ITEMS table to set the values of some columns. In the advanced section, create an input and use it as the assignment value to the location column.

you can then use bulk select and apply the same action to update the selected rows to the new location you choose in the Input dialog.

Bulk Select

TeeSee1_0-1714115967862.png

Input dialog

TeeSee1_1-1714116000582.png

See the two rows updated to L100 in refT1 column (1st col)

TeeSee1_2-1714116047670.png

Hi @TeeSee1

Thanks for your reply and your suggestions. This method is good as far as it goes, but there is a lot of data in the ITEMS table and this would require finding individual items in a very long list. I need to be able select the entire contents of the LOCATION directly. This method also does not allow a choice of actions, which would be:

• MOVE to existing Location
  • MOVE to new Location
  • SWAP with contents of existing Location

Thinking about this last night, it occurs to me that I should be able to get a second copy of the list of Locations by creating a Virtual Column which is a REF to the Locations column. Another Virtual Column of type ENUM would serve to trigger the desired Action. 

Top Labels in this Space