Valid If - NOT - OR

I am trying to check if some items are chosen from an EnumList and make the choices valid if.....

So invalid if it contains either of these 2 selections:

NOT(AND(CONTAINS([Gate Check Results], "*Central Padlock* Good Working Order"),CONTAINS([Gate Check Results], "*Central Padlock* Poor Working Order")))

OR invalid if it contained these 2 selections:

NOT(AND(CONTAINS([Gate Check Results], "*Drop-Bolt Padlock* Good Working Order"),CONTAINS([Gate Check Results], "*Drop-Bolt Padlock* Poor Working Order")))

I was hoping to add the following to bring them together as an OR. but that hasn't seemed to work:

OR((NOT(AND(CONTAINS([Gate Check Results], "*Central Padlock* Good Working Order"),CONTAINS([Gate Check Results], "*Central Padlock* Poor Working Order")))),(NOT(AND(CONTAINS([Gate Check Results], "*Drop-Bolt Padlock* Good Working Order"),CONTAINS([Gate Check Results], "*Drop-Bolt Padlock* Poor Working Order")))))

Where have I gone wrong because it doesn't work.

Solved Solved
0 8 122
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Sorry for a late reply as I was in travel and not at my desk to test.

My testing shows that the first suggestion of using AND()in place of OR() works.

Please take a look at the GIF below. The valid if uses AND() in place of OR() for combining the two sub- expressions.

chrome-capture-2024-2-29.gif

May I request you to retest with AND(). I used the following sub expression in valid_if to test

AND(
NOT(AND(CONTAINS([Enumlist_Test], "*Central Padlock* Good Working Order"),CONTAINS([Enumlist_Test], "*Central Padlock* Poor Working Order"))) ,

NOT(AND(CONTAINS([Enumlist_Test], "*Drop-Bolt Padlock* Good Working Order"),CONTAINS([Enumlist_Test], "*Drop-Bolt Padlock* Poor Working Order")))
)

My testing showed that even the second suggestion works in valid_if. I mean the suggestion to use IFS() based expression.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Not tested but you may want to try

AND ((NOT(AND(CONTAINS([Gate Check Results], "*Central Padlock* Good Working Order"),CONTAINS([Gate Check Results], "*Central Padlock* Poor Working Order")))),(NOT(AND(CONTAINS([Gate Check Results], "*Drop-Bolt Padlock* Good Working Order"),CONTAINS([Gate Check Results], "*Drop-Bolt Padlock* Poor Working Order")))))

Unfortunately that does not work. It doesn't give any invalid warning as you can see from the images.

Domearian_0-1711461670004.png

Domearian_1-1711461690484.png

Domearian_2-1711461703530.png

Okay, sorry. I am not at my desk for next two days and replied from mobile in transit.

Not able to test suggestions. 

You may want to try below

IFS(

AND(CONTAINS([Gate Check Results], "*Central Padlock* Good Working Order"),CONTAINS([Gate Check Results], "*Central Padlock* Poor Working Order")), FALSE,

AND(CONTAINS([Gate Check Results], "*Drop-Bolt Padlock* Good Working Order"),CONTAINS([Gate Check Results], "*Drop-Bolt Padlock* Poor Working Order")), FALSE, 

TRUE, TRUE

)

Suv, I appreciate your suggestions so any time you can answer I really appreciate.

Your last suggestion does not provide an invalid input either sadly. This is a difficult one!

So this works fine for *Central Padlock* items:

NOT(AND(CONTAINS([Gate Check Results], "*Central Padlock* Good Working Order"),CONTAINS([Gate Check Results], "*Central Padlock* Poor Working Order")))

and I then also want to add for Drop-bolt:

NOT(AND(CONTAINS([Gate Check Results], "*Drop-Bolt Padlock* Good Working Order"),CONTAINS([Gate Check Results], "*Drop-Bolt Padlock* Poor Working Order")))

The OR simply isn't working.

Sorry for a late reply as I was in travel and not at my desk to test.

My testing shows that the first suggestion of using AND()in place of OR() works.

Please take a look at the GIF below. The valid if uses AND() in place of OR() for combining the two sub- expressions.

chrome-capture-2024-2-29.gif

May I request you to retest with AND(). I used the following sub expression in valid_if to test

AND(
NOT(AND(CONTAINS([Enumlist_Test], "*Central Padlock* Good Working Order"),CONTAINS([Enumlist_Test], "*Central Padlock* Poor Working Order"))) ,

NOT(AND(CONTAINS([Enumlist_Test], "*Drop-Bolt Padlock* Good Working Order"),CONTAINS([Enumlist_Test], "*Drop-Bolt Padlock* Poor Working Order")))
)

My testing showed that even the second suggestion works in valid_if. I mean the suggestion to use IFS() based expression.

Hi Suv, Apologies for the late reply, I have been away. Yes that works perfectly. I made the mistake in not checking the spaces between the text. It does work perfectly so thank you.

You are welcome. Thank you for the update. Good to know that it works as intended.

Top Labels in this Space