Valid If formula

Hi,

My App seems to have selective adherence to the below Valid If expression especially in the marked section.  If you can see the issue or know a way to fix/improve the validation logic I would like to know.

Note [Storage Out] is a date.

Cheers

John

John_666_0-1693301163193.png

Solved Solved
0 3 145
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I would write that valid_if like this:

IF(
  [pickup date] < "07/10/2023" ,
  IN( [client name] , LIST( "d2..." , "8" ) ) , 
  OR( [_THIS] <> "Invoiced" , ISNOTBLANK( [Related Xeros] ) , [Job Type] <> "STORAGE ONLY" , ISNOTBLANK( [Storage Out] ) )
)

Although that logic is my attempt at converting exactly the logic that I see in your expression. I imagine your issue is a mistake in the logic itself, not the way the expression is written. Maybe my way of writing the expression will make you realize the error in your logic?

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

"selective adherence"? As in, it's not working under some cases? Can you show an example of such cases?

I would write that valid_if like this:

IF(
  [pickup date] < "07/10/2023" ,
  IN( [client name] , LIST( "d2..." , "8" ) ) , 
  OR( [_THIS] <> "Invoiced" , ISNOTBLANK( [Related Xeros] ) , [Job Type] <> "STORAGE ONLY" , ISNOTBLANK( [Storage Out] ) )
)

Although that logic is my attempt at converting exactly the logic that I see in your expression. I imagine your issue is a mistake in the logic itself, not the way the expression is written. Maybe my way of writing the expression will make you realize the error in your logic?

Thanks Marc,

While your expression didn't work quite the same way as mine, you were right in that by working through it I found the issue.

It was a simple mistake of not de-referencing the [Job Type] column and so the test was not picking up the invalid combination of inputs as it was returing the ID string not the text.

AND(
[Pickup Date] >= DATE("07/10/2023"),
[_THIS] = "Invoiced",
[Job Type].[Job Type] = "STORAGE ONLY",
[Storage Out] = ""
),
FALSE

Thank you for assisting and I will work in some of your efficiency suggestions into my expression!

Cheers

John

Top Labels in this Space