Validif and suggested values in same row

I am trying to get an expression together to check within the same row of a from dynamically.  So right now on my suggest values I have  - Select(Serial List[Serial #], [Company Name]=[Serial Number].[Company Name]) which only shows serial #'s attached to that company. I have a form that you can enter up to 20 serial numbers into when inspecting the machines, what I am trying to accomplish is lets say you put a serial number in the first space, when you click the drop down on the second space it only suggests remaining values and takes any other ones already on the form out.

I know I can do NOT(IN([_THIS],LIST([Serial #1]))) but I would have to add every serial #, any other Ideas?

0 1 61
1 REPLY 1

If you have a dedicated column for each chosen serial #, there no other way expect to list each column in the LIST() function.

Listing columns this way is known as "denormalization" and is not the recommended way to handle this type of problem.  An issue arises if it turns out you need more serial #'s than the table currently records.  You have to update the app and re-deploy.  Depending the on how frequently these columns appear in expressions, it can be a huge pain.

There are two other suggested approaches and then a hybrid approach:

1)  Use an EnumList column and allow the user to select the multiple Serial #'s in a single LIST type column.  If all you care about is the serial #'s themselves then this might be the best approach.

2)  Create a Child table of Selected Serial #'s and add each as a row in the Child table.  This is useful when you need to pull in additional information along with the Serial # - especially if it is data that is entered at the time the Serial number chosen

The Hybrid-Approach...

I quite often use the EnumList to facilitate easy selection of the multiple items and then on Save use actions to insert the chosen items as rows in A Child table.  The benefits are its easy for the user to quickly choose the items, I can automatically pull in additional supporting details AND I can view the chosen items in a table view associated with the Parent.

I hope this helps!!

Top Labels in this Space