Value search in a table

Hello to all!!
As always, I ask for your invaluable help !!!, sorry for my English! we hope to understand each other !!
I begin by saying that I have a google “GSE” sheet where I fill in data with a Form view. Inside I have a column called “AMBITO” that I would like to populate automatically.
In addition I have a google folder called “DB” with inside a sheet called “Tables” with 2 columns “Rout”, where there is a list with all the destinations in the world and in the “AMBITO” column if they are Schengen or Extraschengen
For example: in the “GSE” sheet row 2 in the “Rout” column I have a three-letter destination of a city, for example Rome = “FCO”.
I would like that if it finds the value in the Rout column of the Tables sheet “fco” it populates the “AMBITO” column with the correct value that is “Schengen”. I hope I have explained.
Thanks

“db” Foglio “Tables”

Solved Solved
0 5 167
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @Cannone_Cannone !

I think I understand your question. I’ll respond with some general points. The exact method you will use will depend on the specifics of how you want to display your data and how much data you have (if you have lots of data you need to be careful to make sure that your search method doesn’t cause performance issues). Having said that, the two expressions that are most likely to be useful to you are SELECT() and FILTER():

Or, an expression in a slice might also help you do what you need to do:

If you are having trouble figuring out how to actually implement the search in your app, I suggest that you go to the app templates section of the AppSheet website and search for sample apps that use SELECT(), FILTER(), and slices to learn how they are used. After playing around with such sample apps, I think you will be able to imagine what you should do in your case.

https://www.appsheet.com/Templates

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Hi @Cannone_Cannone !

I think I understand your question. I’ll respond with some general points. The exact method you will use will depend on the specifics of how you want to display your data and how much data you have (if you have lots of data you need to be careful to make sure that your search method doesn’t cause performance issues). Having said that, the two expressions that are most likely to be useful to you are SELECT() and FILTER():

Or, an expression in a slice might also help you do what you need to do:

If you are having trouble figuring out how to actually implement the search in your app, I suggest that you go to the app templates section of the AppSheet website and search for sample apps that use SELECT(), FILTER(), and slices to learn how they are used. After playing around with such sample apps, I think you will be able to imagine what you should do in your case.

https://www.appsheet.com/Templates

thanks a lot

Also checkout LOOKUP()

Thanks @Marc_Dillon ! LOOKUP() is the more obvious choice. I’ve used it a lot myself and am now sort of scratching my head as to why I didn’t think to mention it.

thanks a lot!!

Top Labels in this Space