Video Embedding: YouTube Visible in Emulator but not in App

The image below shows a simple App I've made to show the issue. It's designed to show the embedded You Tube video, constructed from the 'share' link, I've shown all the fields used to construct the embedded video link.
On the left, the image of the AppSheet Emulator, clearly showing the embedded video in the final field as expected, however when I then load the same app, with the same record on my iPhone, I cannot see the embedded video. Is this a Bug in the AppSheet iPhone App or am I missing something?

Screenshot 2023-10-26 at 12.11.41.png

0 11 2,205
11 REPLIES 11

How did you do that?, I have been looking to embedd videos

I would like to share my method, although I am not sure if it's the same used by @FrontLine . I just made this up for my app project and I would be happy to share it to whoever like me is wishing to embed youtube video on their app in a easy, efficent way.

On the Google Sheet I set up two columns used for the videos.

- One column is for the YouTube links (taken from share button), and this will be the slot used on the form on the app, where the user can just paste the shared youtube link. This column is set up as "URL" type on AppSheet. It's editable on the app form, so on the Google Sheet is not populated at first.

- The other column is set up as Video Player. This will not appear on the form compiled by the app user, but will appear on the detail view. This column is set up as "Video" type on AppSheet, therefore is not editable. The more complex and more interesting part comes on the Google Sheet set up. In fact I added this formula on this column cells:

=IF(J2="";"";(CONCATENATE("https://www.youtube.com/embed/";(MID(J2;18;100)))))

"J2" is the cell of the column dedicated to the YouTube links. So you can change this cell to the one you use for the YouTube links. Of course you can copy down this formula to all cells of this column. This formula basically transforms a shared YouTube link to an Embedded link, (and also it makes sure nothing appears if the YouTube Link is not added, otherwise you would have a bunch a youtube players with errors). So this works only for Youtube links that you get from the "share" button. It DOES NOT work with the desktop YouTube links taken from the URL bar.

You can now enjoy YouTube videos on your app โœŒ๏ธ๐Ÿ˜.

Regards.

In case you want to transform youtube desktop website links into embedded links (instead of the ones from share button), you can use this formula instead:

=IF(J2="";"";(CONCATENATE("https://www.youtube.com/embed/";(MID(J2;33;100)))))

Unfortunately, It does not work on Iphone

Hi, yeah, I found that out, and wanted to test if it was still the same. I will have to opt for direct upload for now then. Hopefully they will fix this at one point. I save the formula for when that time will come ๐Ÿ˜

@FrontLine , @SEUAdmin ,

I don't know how you are configuring those in the editor, but this is the configuration I'm using : 

baba_sawane_0-1698911112284.png

baba_sawane_1-1698911136523.png

I'm using a Video column , and put the embed link in the database.

I just tried with your url https://www.youtube.com/embed/4y-KbtMVbb8?si=6zluFcsKP7VcFY4i and had no issue, tell us if it does not work ๐Ÿ‘Œ

It does work on editor, unfortunately, it does not work when I try it on Iphone app

Hey baba, yeah the issue is it's working in the emulator, but not on an actual Iphone... if you've got it working on a real iphone, please put a screen shot up and tell us all about it.
Thanks!

I got in touch with Appsheet support last night, they are going to look into this

Cheers SEU, hopefully it's something they can sort out quickly once they're aware of it.
Keep us posted!

Top Labels in this Space