Video Recording as Opposed to URL Upload

My AppSheet app is stalled by the absence of the ability to record a video with the user device. I notice that the latest commentary/thread related to this function was last updated in December 2020. The function should simply be the ability for the User to select either the Photo or Video recording function when the camera is activated by the application.

Past responses/commentary from AppSheet has stated that this is something that is on the futures list, or there is a lot of interest, or we don't do that because that's Instagram or we don't want to enable this function because it would overload the data limits of our servers.

The answer to this last issue (which is understandable from a commercial perspective), is to ensure that video recording files must be stored outside of AppSheet servers (such as in Google Cloud Storage/Firebase etc) and that solely the key and other meta data is stored in AppSheet.

It's time for action, Guys.

1 3 95
3 REPLIES 3

Aurelien
Google Developer Expert
Google Developer Expert

Hi @irichard1,

I will let to the AppSheet Team answer your inquiries about Video recording, which (I agree with you) have been announced a while ago.

However, you may want to note that, as AppSheet is a pass-through platform, it doesn't store any data unless required for caching or auditing purpose.

For reference: Section "What is the high-level architecture of AppSheet?" in here:

https://help.appsheet.com/en/articles/962161-information-for-an-it-department

For the community, this is the last post I remember about video capture feature:

https://www.googlecloudcommunity.com/gc/Announcements/Wanted-Testers-for-Video-Capture-on-Android-de...

For attention: @AndrewB 

Thank you, Andrew. The  data 'pass through' architecture was unknown to me and clarifies the situation.  All the more reason, perhaps, for AppSheet folks not to be concerned about adding a video capture function due to file size/storage volumes issues.  Yes, the December '20 link is part of the thread I referred to.  Your comment most appreciated.

Thanks P5.  Yes, Andrew pointed out the Pass-Through architecture.  Most helpful.  I would be most interested in receiving advice from the AppSheet team.

Top Labels in this Space