View and Add

Is there a way to modify the Add link next to the View link, normally at the bottom of the form? They are rather small and a long way down. I've looked up buttons and can't see how to get one to do the same thing. I've also tried the Actions page which superficially appears to allow the use of icons and more prominence, but has no apparent effect in practise. I want to give the user the ability to click a button or a more prominent word 'Add' higher up if possible.

thanks for any help

James

0 7 105
  • UX
7 REPLIES 7

You can certainly create action buttons that navigate to a view or Entry Form.  Both of these would be of action type "go to another view in this app".  Then you would use in the Target View property LINKTOVIEW() or LINKTOFORM() respectively.

I believe based on your description, you are looking to do this within a Detail view.  You would have the option to show these custom actions "Prominently" which places them at the top of the Detail view or you could show them as Overlay buttons which "float" in the bottom right of the screen and stay there as the user scrolls.

Oh thanks for the reply, that's interesting - how do you do it? I couldn't see anything in UX?

The implementations I mentioned are all done from the Behavior section within the new actions you add.  

Create a new action and give it try.  Then come back here if you still need more help.

Hi, I couldn't see anything helpful in either the documentation or the app site.

To be precise, what I'm trying to do is add a Save button on the first screen of a tabbed form at or near the top.

As far as I can tell, this is impossible, but I would love to learn if it isn't.

@JamesWB wrote:

Hi, I couldn't see anything helpful in either the documentation or the app site.

To be precise, what I'm trying to do is add a Save button on the first screen of a tabbed form at or near the top.

As far as I can tell, this is impossible, but I would love to learn if it isn't.

This is a different question than your original post?

You are correct, you cannot add buttons to a Form.  By "tabbed Form", I assume you mean it literally where you have a Form in a tabbed view with Cancel and Next buttons at the bottom of the each tab except the last tab which has Cancel and Save.

If that's correct, while you can't add a Save button, you can "disable" the unnecessary tabs.  So for example, if you have 4 tabs and you "disable" tabs 2, 3 and 4, the Cancel and Save will move up to the 1st tab.

I don't quite remember how the "disabling" is achieved as its been awhile since I have done that.  If you can't figure it out and want to know how, repost here and I'll dig it up.

Sorry, yes, I was trying to do several things at once and getting slightly muddled.

I need all the tabs, so disabling them isn't an option for me unfortunately.

Having the Save button only on the last tab is dreadfully bad product design as I need a lot of tabs.

One could argue that a lot of tabs is dreadfully bad product design. You're going to run into problems with that.

Top Labels in this Space