Virtual Column Question: I want to create a v...

Rod
Bronze 3
Bronze 3

Virtual Column Question: I want to create a virtual column that functions like a Yes/No column.

I donโ€™t want to store the result, but I want to trigger a workflow if user selects true Orโ€ฆis there a different way to do this?

Thanks!

0 9 1,104
9 REPLIES 9

In the workflow condition insert: [Virtual Column Name]=โ€œYESโ€, the complete the workflow with what you want it to do.

Rod
Bronze 3
Bronze 3

Thatโ€™s how I trigger the workflow. I want a โ€œvirtualโ€ true/false function to occur on the form, like a standard Yes/No column, instead of a constant. My goal is to let the end user have the option to send or not send.

Inserting a column stores the result, I donโ€™t want that, which is why Iโ€™m playing with a virtual column.

@Rod I usually face the same problem at times and i donโ€™t think virtual columns are capable of doing that. I use a column in my table dedicated to that yes/no question and allow the user to press an action button to select yes or no. Once they do that, workflow is triggered and then i set another action to wipe out the yes or no for that cell.

Rod
Bronze 3
Bronze 3

hmm, an action to clear the cell, I was thinking about that, Iโ€™ll give that a tryโ€ฆthanks!

Rod
Bronze 3
Bronze 3

How are you triggering and action?

So, create a โ€œGroupedโ€ action that has 2 actions โ€œSetโ€ and โ€œClearโ€.

The โ€œSetโ€ action is an action that sets the value of the yes/no column (once this is set, the workflow will trigger automatically if the workflow condition is the same as i mentioned in my first comment).

The โ€œClearโ€ action will the the value of that column to โ€œโ€ (this will clear it out.

Let me know if this works for you.

Rod
Bronze 3
Bronze 3

My Bad, havenโ€™t been paying attention to the new features, workflow data change triggering an action works perfectly. Thanks for your input! Helps.

I normally use a datetime field for this purpose because then you donโ€™t need to clear a field and the last timestamp is recorded as well. If you trigger that function with an action button (with expression NOW()), you can add a condition rule AND(ISNOTBLANK([DateTime]),[_THISROW_BEFORE].[DateTime]<>[_THISROW_AFTER].[DateTime]) for your workflow and it will send the email only, when the action button is pushed.

Rod
Bronze 3
Bronze 3

Interesting. Thanks Aleksi! Extremely helpful

Top Labels in this Space