Virtual Column Referencing Another Table

I created a virtual column that is a list referencing another table. The list shows all columns that are in the table it is referenced to. Everything is working as it should be, but I am wondering if there is a way that I can have that list only show certain columns from the table I am referencing. I only need two or three columns to show up to get the data I need, so as of right now it is just unnecessary to have all the other columns to look through to find the data I need. Is there someone who can explain to me how to do this in a virtual column? Thanks!

0 6 533
6 REPLIES 6

Welcome to the community!

You can restrict the values of your list using SELECT() or similar statements. 

FAQ: FILTER(), LOOKUP(), MAXROW(), MINROW(), REF_R... - Google Cloud Community  

If a VC is a list of keys, naturally your have all of it's columns available as an inline view.

If a VC is a foreign key, you can open the record to a new detail view. You could use this field with a reference expression [Key].[Field] to get whatever info you want.

Now, it's not clear what you want to achieve, so please post here an screenshoot to be sure we are talking about the same thing.

As I understand, you want an inline view with certain columns of the target table, and that it's not managed through expression, it's a UI thing

Screenshot 2022-03-24 121743.png

This is the virtual column, it references the table that includes all of these columns. As you can see it has multiple columns that are unnecessary to show, such as location and category, I do not need to see those columns in this view. I just need the Item ID, and the amount which I have to scroll all the way to the end to see, and don't want to have to do that. Hope that makes sense!

Create a slice on that table. In that slice. Configure the VC to use the slice rather than the table. Configure a table view in the ref position for the slice to include only the desired columns.

Thank you. I created the slice on that table, but how exactly do I "configure" the slice to use the VC instead of the table? I have the source table entered, and then it has "columns to include in the slice", and I put the VC in there. But, then when I go to create the view, I choose that slice. But, it does not give me the options to include the desired referenced columns. It just shows the VC as the option again. Am I missing a step in the slice?

Top Labels in this Space