Virtual Column not Showing

Hi! I am using a virtual column (type - Yes/No) to show specific locations that meet two criteria:  a department and a state. The end result I want is to show yes or no if it meets/doesn't meet based on the formula. I have the formula setup like this:

AND([Department]="Logistics",
OR([Work Location]='AL',
[Work Location]='AR',
[Work Location]='AZ',
[Work Location]='CA',
[Work Location]='FL',
[Work Location]='GA',
[Work Location]='IL'))

It works and shows in the 'Test' view. But when I add the column to my details sheet it doesn't show, however, it shows up when I use the form view, but nowhere else. I tried editing the formula and refreshing but no luck. 

Any ideas on how to get the column to show up?

Solved Solved
0 6 923
  • UX
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Virtual columns don't show if the result is blank.  To check this consider extending your formula by wrapping it with this IF() statement:

IF(
ISBLANK(YOUR_EXIISTING_FORMULA),
"No data found",
YOUR_EXIISTING_FORMULA
)

Simon@1minManager.com 

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Confirm that the detail view where you're adding the column and the detail view where you're not seeing the column are indeed the same view. Potentially, you have multiple detail views defined.

Also, fyi, there's an IN function:

IN(
[Work Location],
LIST(
'AL',
'AR',
'AZ',
'CA',
'FL',
'GA',
'IL'
)

Hi dbaum, 

Thank you for the suggestion of the IN function! It made the formula work more efficiently.  

Aurelien
Google Developer Expert
Google Developer Expert

Hi @jfong12 

Did you check that the SHOW property is set to ON ?

Aurelien_0-1662009678931.png

Hi Aurelien, 

Yes, I did confirm that the show property is set to ON. 

Virtual columns don't show if the result is blank.  To check this consider extending your formula by wrapping it with this IF() statement:

IF(
ISBLANK(YOUR_EXIISTING_FORMULA),
"No data found",
YOUR_EXIISTING_FORMULA
)

Simon@1minManager.com 

Hi 1minManager, 

I originally thought this at the beginning but I had trouble with the IF expression. I tried it again and now it works! Thank you for the help! 

Top Labels in this Space