Virtual Columns in Forms

Hi all, experimenting with a new process in an app I have created, the idea behind it came from the Order Capture sample app.

I would like users to create ‘Take Offs’ in which users select a schedule and they add multiple products with different order quantities for each item. This is exactly the same process in the sample in which I have a virtual column with Related Take Off Details; however the virtual column will not appear in the form I am creating to do this.

I made two separate tables; Take Off and Take Off Details (exactly like having an Orders and Order Details Table).

As I am only testing out the idea I have limited column and no dummy data atm.

This is the data for the Take Off Tbl including the virtual col;

This is the data for the Take Off Details Tbl - as you can see the Ref column to the Take Off Table is there also;

I created a slice from the Take Off Tbl in which I have included the virtual column, but the form does not show that making it impossible to add multiple products to a schedule as desired.

Is there any explanation to this issue, is there issues in the table structure or is the concept not applicable as it is between orders/order details? Thanks for any help, it is always appreciated

0 12 1,334
12 REPLIES 12

Hi @Sarah_Keown Is your Take off Id , type Ref in “Take off Details” Is part of" your “Take off” table ?

I did go back and check this, it wasnt checked so I turned it on but still no change in the form. I added some lines of dummy data in excel and it all appears to correctly link the two tables so I am not sure why the form input isnt working??

What is the slice for? Does it work without using the slice?

Well technically the slice is unnecessary because I am using all columns anyway, I created it becasue I was following the sample structure. I will change and see what happens.

No change when I used the Table data as opposed to the slice

Hi do you happen to have more than one Ref that “Is Part Of” your table? You can only have one.

Just the one

When editing in a form you can see the multiple related details (without the ability to add) so that tells me the VC and referencing is coreect. When adding a new row you cannot see the column at all.

2X_1_1bd995528865bdff39f1edc79b69cf938f0d706e.png 2X_e_e8e2dfb1df8c13cfa835977633379974c9577129.png

Do your tables allow adds? I have to take a break now. Will check back tomorrow.

Yes it does; no problem thank you for your help!

You can’t do that with that virtual column.

When creating a parent record (take off) you can’t see the related children records (take off details) and that’s because the children do not exist.

A take off detail record needs to have a take off record to be created.

The reason you can see it in edit mode is because that Take off has related take off details,

while a new take off won’t have any related take off details as those ones will be created afterwards.

What you want can be achieved in a few ways:

1. On the take off details table, take off column (ref), there is a check box “part of”.
    Part of means that once you delete a take off, the take off details related will be deleted too.

If checked, you’ll have a “New” button where you want that virtual column.
Once a record is added (detail), you’ll see a sub table with the details.

1. The way I prefer it,

Having 2 views on the bottom bar :
take off (deck view)
Add details (form view-created not system)

The take off ref column will have initial value of
Maxrow(take off,_RowNumber).

The downsize is that every new Detail will get the last Take off.

If you want to add details for previous take offs then set it editable.

This way, by default, will add it to the last one but can be changed.

Top Labels in this Space