Virtual Columns

Hello,

I really need help for this.

I need to display values of a virtual column in another app. I know it'll only be shown inside the app it was made. But is there any other way like how I can store that in the spreadsheet (because those apps share the same source)? What makes me unable to just make another virtual column in the other app is that I don't even have the 'items' being computed there to be that 'total cost'. I hope anyone can understand what I'm trying to say. Thanks a lot!Capture.PNG

Solved Solved
0 21 359
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Aurelien
Google Developer Expert
Google Developer Expert

Hi @paula 

You will need to use a workaround if you wish to reuse the result of the calculation in another app.

Basically, this consists in writing the data down. Problem is: real columns calculation is not made on the fly.

I would suggest using a bot to save the data on a real column sometime, or at least to update the data on a regular basis.

For example, you could have a real column called "RC_myResult" and a virtual column "VC_myResult", and an action button with type "set the columns of this row with this value", and insert the data from "VC_myResult" in the column "RC_myResult".

And trigger this action button with a bot, with a "run a data action" step.

For reference:

Bots: The Essentials - AppSheet Help

Steps: The Essentials - AppSheet Help

View solution in original post

"But I wanna filter per column value where I only wanna display (Approval = "Approved")"

Hence the slice !

View solution in original post

21 REPLIES 21

Aurelien
Google Developer Expert
Google Developer Expert

Hi @paula 

You will need to use a workaround if you wish to reuse the result of the calculation in another app.

Basically, this consists in writing the data down. Problem is: real columns calculation is not made on the fly.

I would suggest using a bot to save the data on a real column sometime, or at least to update the data on a regular basis.

For example, you could have a real column called "RC_myResult" and a virtual column "VC_myResult", and an action button with type "set the columns of this row with this value", and insert the data from "VC_myResult" in the column "RC_myResult".

And trigger this action button with a bot, with a "run a data action" step.

For reference:

Bots: The Essentials - AppSheet Help

Steps: The Essentials - AppSheet Help

Thank you so much! Is it like this then?Capture.PNG

Exactly !

You may want to set the event with a schedule time, daily for example.

So as for the user not to manually click the action button every time, is that the intention? Thanks!

That's the idea, indeed. But this is just a suggestion, you can do otherwise if you prefer !

It's a good suggestion but I got an error. Nonetheless, I think it doesn't fit my requirements anyway since I need a direct update and that schedule won't help since it'll follow the time set. Anyways, thank you very much! It helped me a lot and now I get to move forward. God bless you!

ok then, you may prefer a trigger with "Updates Only" ๐Ÿ™‚

But if the calculation is made from another table, you may set your bot on the other table, and run a data action "Execute an action on a set of rows".

This one will call the  "run a data action" mentionned earlier.

Okay I will try this too. Thank you!

Hello @Aurelien ,

Sir, I have a follow up question on this. Given that they share the same source, is there any way for me to filter what I want to show in another app. For instance, I only need requests from the first app which are "Approved", how can I do that? Thank you so much!

@paula 

" is there any way for me to filter what I want to show in another app"

If it's based on a real column, for sure, as the data will be available in the other app too.

If not, you will need to reproduce the calculation of the virtual column.

Yes, it's from a real column. Where can I do so? Thank you!

You will want to add a new virtual column

Aurelien_0-1663219126143.png

Then, if you want to get rid of the real column, you will just have to remove it from your Sheets, and click on "Regenerate structure"

Aurelien_1-1663219168623.png

Sorry I don't get it. Why would I remove the real column? Or should I remove it to be able to filter by making a virtual column as you mentioned?

" Why would I remove the real column?"

if you are using the virtual column for filtering purpose, then the real column becomes obsolete (as it won't update calculation automatically) ๐Ÿ™‚

You can keep it though it you intend to use it later !

Okay Sir. But I'm confused where to start though. Where should I add a virtual column? They're on a table, right? But it's a whole table that I wanna display where I will set a filter using one of its columns. I mean how? Do you get what I mean? Sorry if it may be unclear

For instance, the "Items" here is a virtual column. And I saw the condition tab in its "Show" option. Is that where I am supposed to write a condition? If so, then how can I do that with the rest which are all inside a TABLE?Capture2.PNG

basically:

Aurelien_1-1663223128568.png

"But it's a whole table that I wanna display where I will set a filter using one of its columns."

if you wish to filter data depending on the user, please read this:

Current User (Slice) | How to conform your app a... - Google Cloud Community

and for reference:

Slices: The Essentials - AppSheet Help

Thank you so much. But I wanna filter per column value where I only wanna display (Approval = "Approved")

"But I wanna filter per column value where I only wanna display (Approval = "Approved")"

Hence the slice !

I tried that. I mean all the requests data (including 'Pending') are still coming into that app while it isn't needed and shouldn't be there to avoid confusion. So, if that is the only way, then I'll just use Slice. Thanks so much for all the help!

You are very welcome

Top Labels in this Space