Virtual Key ID column Master Sheet

Novice. Concepts.

Would it be silly to have a Master KEY in a virtual column in a virtual master table?  And all your tables have a virtual master key?

Is this possible?

I would love to have a Master Key on all my data.

Usually the Key is in the A column.

Ofcourse all the data that comes in from outside world wants their own identity and also wants to be in the A column like seeing themselves on every newspaper front page.

However the KEY boss wants this spot too.

Is that a main reason to use a database? Don't you avoid this problem in a database?

Having a hard time visualizing the overall relationships in design and how moving columns around causes problems?!?

0 4 215
4 REPLIES 4

Steve
Platinum 4
Platinum 4

I don't understand. What do you mean by "master key"?

Master Key aka ID as opposed to using another entitys ID code. The way I see it is you could have the Exact same data in the exact same order as another app user or anyone in the world for that matter but your key is what identifies it as being your row of data or record.

I assume Google keeps track of not only your Master key, but also in relation to your appname number back to your Google account number as the true master key in their database.

Primary Key

In the relational model, a primary key is a single attribute, or combination of attributes, which can be used to uniquely identify a row of data in a givn table. Common primary keys include vendor ID, user ID, email address, or combination of attributes considered together such as first name, last name, and city of residence, all considered together as a single entity. It should be noted that what is an acceptable primary key in one situation may not uniquely identify data instances in another

Foreign Key

Again in the relational model, a foreign key is an attribute or collection of attributes from one relational table whose values must match another relational table's primary key. A common use for such an organizational scheme would be to link a street address in one table to a city in another, and perhaps to a country in a third. This eliminates repetitive data input, and reduces the possibility of error, increasing data accuracy

Database Key Terms, Explained - KDnuggets

Thank you very much.

But how do you add this key without screwing up your schema in all your other sheets when adding it?

Top Labels in this Space