Virtual Text column vs. virtual Show column using category Text

The following seem functionally equivalent when the need is for content that is solely for display within a form view and doesn't need to be referenced anywhere else. Is one more performant than the other? Are there other pertinent distinctions to consider?

• Virtual column of Text type with expression that yields row-specific text in the App formula property
  • Virtual column of Show type and Category of Text with expression that yields row-specific text in the Content property

Example of Text column

dbaum_0-1653177751008.png

Example of Show column using category Text

dbaum_1-1653177917898.png

Solved Solved
3 7 235
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Steve
Platinum 4
Platinum 4

A column of type Show category Text is a LongText value, so it allows line breaks.

The Content expression of a Show column is always live, so it will be recalculated even if no change is made to the row. Compare with a virtual column's App formula expression, which is only live in a form view or when a normal column of the same row is updated.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Show type won't display the column name. You can't inline-attach Actions to Show columns.

An interesting observation @dbaum  and nice inputs on differences from @Marc_Dillon 

If  I may add, using show type VC (category text) is somewhat akin to using a decimal type column as a number type column with decimal digits as zero or a using datetime type column just to capture time. There may not be large distinguishable advantages/disadvantages.

Another subtle point is, the purpose of show columns is to enhance form presentation as also mentioned in help article and to make them appear anywhere in form. With a VC, show column they will always appear at the bottom in view by default. One will need to use column order in views for placing them elsewhere.

Suvrutt_Gurjar_0-1653196310717.png

Steve
Platinum 4
Platinum 4

A column of type Show category Text is a LongText value, so it allows line breaks.

The Content expression of a Show column is always live, so it will be recalculated even if no change is made to the row. Compare with a virtual column's App formula expression, which is only live in a form view or when a normal column of the same row is updated.

Very useful input @Steve . Thank you.

Hello @dbaum ,  quick question.

Is there any advantage on making physical columns as show type  text page/header rather than a virtual column of a show type page/header. Aside from the spreadsheet having less  empty column when you have it as a VC. I see the great @MultiTech Use alot of this physical columns on his builds for type columns. Is there a reason for this? Perfomance wise is it distinguishable?

I don't like cluttering the data source with data-less Show columns, so I always use virtual columns. There should be no performance difference; the virtual column may even be (indistinguishably) faster.

Thanks alot @Steve! I was thinking the same.

Top Labels in this Space