Virtual column - Duration

I have a virtual column and it is set as a Duration field. I am trying to incorporate in a automation bot. 

Will the virtual column update daily as well? say I have a formula like this [date_added] - TODAY() then my automation will use it as the basis of the counting before it triggers the tasks?

Solved Solved
0 11 149
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

For what seems to be your purpose, yes, I'd rather use a scheduled event. 

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

Formulas in virtual columns get reevaluated with a new sync. To avoid miscalculations, better write the formulas explicitly in your automation instead of depending on values of virtual columns. 

Is it much better to utilize the "For each row in table" via Scheduled event? like do a check on the rows on a daily basis? instead of triggering a "wait" setup via Data Change event?

For what seems to be your purpose, yes, I'd rather use a scheduled event. 

My goal is to have a checker before the notification fires off.

It will depend on some triggers, based on the status of the row item, But mainly depends on the number of days remaining prior to the start date. (its like a pre start date notification setup)

So you'd need to send the notification on a daily basis, then a scheduled event should be suitable for the task.

Not exactly daily. more like every 5 days, but the scenario is it needs to be true in all of the conditions before it goes off :), but yes. a daily check is needed for all of the items. 

Thank you for your guidance on this one. I'll try it out now ๐Ÿ™‚

You can also complement your table with a column marking the rows for which a notification had been already sent. Your daily task would then run only on a Slice containing only the rows for which no notification was sent. You can also include whatever other conditions needed so that you don't have to run the task on all rows of the table. 

Like a checklist for the notification sent yeah? This can be an added feature for my app. Is there a way to do like a read receipt as well for the email notifications?

No. You can register that you have sent an email, but there's no way to guarantee a read receipt; since it depends on receiving server's settings and the confirmation of each user. 

Gotcha. Thank you so much for this insights really helpful for a beginner like me. 

Welcome!

Top Labels in this Space